Christmas Eve Traditions?

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby ChristmasPenguin on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to know everyone's Christmas Eve Traditions! Dec. 24 is one of my favorite days of the year. I'm a Roman Catholic, so my Christmas Eve starts out at church, I usually do something with the music. Even though i'm 24 now, I still wish I could be in the Christmas Pageant! Then we go over to my relatives where we have hearty appetizers and do our Secret Santa's. Then we go track him on the web! Kinda traditional, but what do you do??
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...:)
User avatar
ChristmasPenguin
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am
Location: anywhere christmas-y

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby theirishmangeoff on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 am

Hi ,

My Christmas Eve tradition is going to all the services at my cathedral, then going home putting on the christmas music and making some nibbles for my girls. Then later a couple off glasses off mulled wine, mince pies and watching a couple off Christmas movies. Last thing putting a mince pie, glass of sherry out for Santa and some carrots for the reindeers.

The Irishman
theirishmangeoff
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Christmasfairy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 am

Hi,

Our Christmas Eve tradition is to put up pillowcases - not socks - when we were little, and now my nieces and nephew are carrying it on. We also have noche buena - Christmas Eve dinner - to welcome the birth of Christ. We'd have punch, ham, fruitcake, spaghetti and other goodies. Then the children go off to bed and we would put their presents in the pillowcases. We would put "from Santa" on some of the presents. :) It's always nice to see them excitedly open their gifts in the morning.
Christmasfairy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Chris on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:48 am

Well, I like to do church too. I also like to put old (older?) Christmas music on. Some years I've done stuff with family and friends, but it really depends on the year.

The other thing I always make a habit of doing is pulling out a copy of The Night Before Christmas (usually an antique version) and read that. Of course during the weeks before Christmas there is always The Grinch to watch, Rudolph, Peanuts and a few other shows. A Christmas Carol and It's A Wonderful Life are fun to watch too.

There is always stuff on here, like tracking Santa too.

ChristmasPenguin wrote:Hi,
Just wanted to know everyone's Christmas Eve Traditions! Dec. 24 is one of my favorite days of the year. I'm a Roman Catholic, so my Christmas Eve starts out at church, I usually do something with the music. Even though i'm 24 now, I still wish I could be in the Christmas Pageant! Then we go over to my relatives where we have hearty appetizers and do our Secret Santa's. Then we go track him on the web! Kinda traditional, but what do you do??
Chris
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Christmasfairy on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:59 am

I like watching A Christmas Carol, Little Women and The Nutcracker Prince. I always used to imagine I was little Clara, going off with the Nutcracker Prince and dancing the ballet in the Land of the Dolls. :)
Christmasfairy
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby reemus_claus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi,,

I Like To Wake Up,, Put On Some Clothes... Look At The Christmas Tree,, Then Go On Christmas Website. Me And My Brother Track Santa On www.norad-santa.org And We Would Do Some Christmassy Things Through-out the day!
I Don't Know If You'd Believe Me On This One,, But About 2 - 3 Weeks BEFORE Christmas,, I Usually Write To A Spy Elf. I Always Will Get A Reply And It Is Amazing!!!

Well That's My Christmas Tradition... What's Yours :D :) :D :) :D
Image

75 Days!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
reemus_claus
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Chris on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:24 pm

I forgot before, but we usually light a fire in the fireplace and often put out treats for Santa.

reemus_claus wrote:Hi,,

I Like To Wake Up,, Put On Some Clothes... Look At The Christmas Tree,, Then Go On Christmas Website. Me And My Brother Track Santa On http://www.norad-santa.org And We Would Do Some Christmassy Things Through-out the day!
I Don't Know If You'd Believe Me On This One,, But About 2 - 3 Weeks BEFORE Christmas,, I Usually Write To A Spy Elf. I Always Will Get A Reply And It Is Amazing!!!

Well That's My Christmas Tradition... What's Yours :D :) :D :) :D
Chris
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Holly on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I don't have to many memories of my very first Christmases in Delaware. We moved to Italy when I was nine. At first we kept the American traditions like Santa, Rudolph, etc., but after a while they kind of faded. On La Vigilia di Natale (christmas eve) we put our shoes out for La Befana, (almost like a female Santa: the legend says she missed the birth of Christ, and flies around on her broomstick giving toys to good kids that might be Jesus) before going to the Masses. Then we lit the town Yule Log, which would stay lit until New Year's. We went home for Pesespio, (the house nativity) and recited our rehearsed poems.
User avatar
Holly
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 pm
Location: The North Pole!!!

Re: Christmas Eve Traditions?

Postby Chris on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

That is a fun Christmas Eve tradition. I think La Befana may be one of Santa's friends! ;-)

Holly wrote:I don't have to many memories of my very first Christmases in Delaware. We moved to Italy when I was nine. At first we kept the American traditions like Santa, Rudolph, etc., but after a while they kind of faded. On La Vigilia di Natale (christmas eve) we put our shoes out for La Befana, (almost like a female Santa: the legend says she missed the birth of Christ, and flies around on her broomstick giving toys to good kids that might be Jesus) before going to the Masses. Then we lit the town Yule Log, which would stay lit until New Year's. We went home for Pesespio, (the house nativity) and recited our rehearsed poems.
Chris
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 am


Return to Christmas Thoughts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests