Which Sense says Christmas?

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Which Sense says Christmas?

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:46 pm

I read The Christmas Box last night and it asked a really neat question. I'm not quoting it exactly, but which of the five senses really defines Christmas for you?

I picked sight right away because once the Christmas season hits I'm like a child or small animal. Walking about with my mouth agape, very easily distracted. I try to take in all the lights, Santas, Snowmen, other Christmas imagery, wrapping paper, trees, books, all at once.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby kallie0509 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:51 pm

definately smell for me. my sniffer is so sensitive and definately defines alot of things in my life, but for christmas, it's the smell of cinnamon and pine and the way the air smells at night. you know that smell, where the air is dry and cold and it just smells like crunchy dry leaves and fires burning in cozy homes. :D
kallie0509

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm

I love the smell of burning leaves in the fall and winter. *sniff sniff* I used to like to listen to the crunch of snow under my feet until I had to drive in the stuff. Still sight for me. I love the way the sunlight makes the fallen snow glitter too.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:20 am

Holly, what a brilliant thread!!! That is a great question and I'd love to hear what EVERYone has to say about this.

Last night when you brought it up to me, I thought it was so good that I told you to post it right away or I'd take it myself..... hehehe.... not really but..... yeah, really..

ANYway. I think it's a real tough one between sight and sound, but I'm going to have to go with sound. It's really the music and the bells and the tires cutting through the wet streets of the fall and winter that really tie all the other things together for me.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Silver Belle on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:31 am

This IS a great question Holly, I actually read your thread last night but I needed some time to think on it because for me, it's hard to choose between sight and smell......(just choose Belle, just choose! :roll: )...yep, I've gotta go with sight.

I LOVE the colorful lights of decorated houses when we tour neighborhoods around Christmas...I love to see the tall candy canes and fat gumdrops, and red velvet carpets that line the way to Santa's lap in his big red chair at the mall as the kids wait in droves to see him. I love sitting by the glow of our beautiful tree and busy fireplace mantle village while watching my favorite Christmas specials and wrapping the kids' presents...and ohhhhh, our tree. My favorite Christmas sight. Always a treat to gaze at it for hours, the way the lights help illuminate all the special ornaments, the way the branches throw shadows of its needles on the wall, the way our angel keeps a beautiful watch on all the activity below her in her flowing ivory gown with soft, white feathery wings....

:D :D
'In the air there's a feeling of Christmas...'
Silver Belle

Postby ClausPresents on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:11 pm

I agree, it's hard to choose!

Sight because I am one of many that find myself looking at every light display when I'm driving in neighborhoods to admire their displays.

Smell because who doesn't love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree, not to mention the holiday baking!

What about sound? The Christmas songs, jingle bells, or hearing the infamous "Ho, Ho, Ho" phrase?

:D Whatever sense it may be, it still makes it my favorite time of year.
ClausPresents

Postby Christmas Knight on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:36 pm

For me it's Sight first, Sound second, Smell third
Christmas Knight

Return to Christmas Thoughts