People offended by Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:27 pm

LawP...you are absolutely right! Life's too short, do what makes you happy! :lol:

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:54 pm

I think people who want to ban Halloween and stop celebration are, essentially, Fearmongers. It is ironic that a holiday that is supposed to be all about fear and creepy crawlies inspires such terror in certain groups who claim that faith provides them with divine protection.

The real problem is not just fear of Halloween, it’s fear of EVERYTHING. Many of these groups fear not just Halloween, but science, philosophy, liberal arts, homosexuality, and anybody else who thinks differently or wants to challenge traditional structure of society.

In such an atmosphere, is it any wonder that they look at a society, far more conservative in nature than the 60’s,70’s and 80’s, and yet still see nothing but things to be terrified of. Further irony can be found in the fact that an America of the 50’s, which best suits their world view, was a golden age for ToT.

Even though there is an unenforced ban on ToT in Deer Park, home of the Man Who Killed Halloween, I always set up for it and we get anywhere from 5 to 20 ToT’ers depending on weather.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:13 pm

Good for you, MWRuger!!

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:12 am

I have a funny story.... I live in Alabama now. I moved from NJ 6 years ago where halloween was celebrated in a big way in my neighborhood. Seven years ago I spent halloween in Salem Mass with my friends. It was the best halloween I ever had! Sooooo much fun! Well I was telling my husband's grandparents that I have been to Salem and it is not "running wide open with witches" (his grandpa's words LOL) I tried to explain to them that there are in fact people who live there that are Wiccan but that it was just that they had different religious beliefs than Christians. My husband's grandfather just about came out of his chair and was screaming and yelling about non- christians and hell and blah blah blah....you get the picture. LOL Now mind you I am a christian who just happens to believe in tollerance for all people but I swear I told my husband not to be shocked if a party of old southern men with torches came to the door looking for me....LOL That year for halloween I changed my mind on my costume choice. I dressed as a witch!!!! Everyone got the joke but grandpa. LOL :lol:

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:31 am

Winnie, a friend and I plan to go to Salem for Halloween 2007. Did you stay in any of the old homes or go to any of the parties? I'm curious about what you liked most about going there. I want to go to the Witch museum and maybe go to a costume party (expensive!). :D
Don't drink and fly...

halloweenqueen
Haunt Master

Post by halloweenqueen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:42 pm

im planning on going to Salem for Halloween 07 too! Im super excited!!

I live in Houston (Really Humble) too and I never heard of anything on a ban on ToTing in Deer Park? I can't believe that!

People who are hell-bent on stopping Halloween are idiots and need to go play in traffic! :twisted:

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:39 pm

You know all those rumors about poison in candy and razor blades in apples? There's only one actual documented case, and it was in Deer Park, and a man tried to kill his own children. Check snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Interesting geekmidwinter...that poor little boy. :cry:

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:09 pm

LawP here's the site to check out http://www.hauntedhappenings.org
We went to the Hawthorne Hotel costume ball. We stayed there for a couple of hours then walked around the town. There is sooooo much going on there. We also did these tours by candle light (which was spooky and so much fun)
Terror Trail
Witch Trial

we also went to Salem Witch Village and The Witch House

It was truly the best halloween I ever had. During almost the whole month of Oct there are things happening. If you have a chance to go I promise you won't be disappointed.

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:31 pm

Winnie, thanks so much. I have been on that site before but it's been a while. How far in advance did you make your reservations? The Hawthorne is exactly where I want to go. I think the other big party is more dark in nature - actual coven meeting and circle included - which isn't my thing. :?
Don't drink and fly...

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:07 pm

I know, MHooch, it's so sad. That's why MWRuger made the comment earlier about the "home of the man who killed Halloween" because that is where all of the rumors started. There is definitely a stigma attached to it, it is highly frowned upon, and the community goes out of its way to deter anything Halloween related. There used to be a huge city sponsered Fall Festival, designed to discourage trick or treating, but they decided to not have it anymore and focus more of their time and money on the Go Texan Festival in April.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Re: People offended by Halloween

Post by Rising Dead Man » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:53 pm

My opinion is this...if you don't like it...then that's your choice...but don't wreck it for everyone else that does...you have no right to tell other people not to do something just because you don't like it....especially when it is something that really is all fun and no harm to any of it. I think the people that don't like it just should keep their kid home that day, and not spoil it for everyone else.

I feel like if people aren't breaking the law, and they are just having fun, then let them alone. Kids NEED stuff like Halloween. They aleady live in front of the TV

Maybe the should worry about real issues instead of people simply having fun.
I agree with you spooky and black cat. Let people have fun and mind yourself. If someone does not believe in Halloween I leave them alone and mind MY own business. Why can't other people? Our church has a Halloween party sometimes. There are a lot of good churches out there that do not ruin things for everyone else. Last year at the church Halloween party during trunk or treating one of the cars had two gravestones standing up in the trunk and two singing skeletons. It was awesome!
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:05 pm

A lot of churches are good. They mind there own business and not push there beliefs on othere people. They may not agree with you on everything. But they do not keep pushing there beliefs on you. :D
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Rising Dead Man wrote:A lot of churches are good. They mind there own business and not push there beliefs on othere people. They may not agree with you on everything. But they do not keep pushing there beliefs on you. :D

You're probably right aboput most churches. I was raised a Catholic, they totally get into Halloween.

Those 'christian' haunted houses though, are a total buzz-kill. :twisted:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:31 pm

I've never heard of a Christian haunted house? What does it entail? Although if you think about it, being crucified and then coming back from the dead is a little spooky. I can't think of any other deities that are known for that!
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”