Favorite Fall/Halloween Memories

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Favorite Fall/Halloween Memories

Post by Spooky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:33 am

I loved Fall as a kid, I use to love walking home from school....stopping at the candy store...kicking the leaves up.

Some of my favorite fall memories, were raking the leaves up in the yard, and then jumping off the hill in to a huge pile, or hiding in a pile and hoping my brother wouldn't jump on me before I could jump out and scare the heck out of him. I remember playing outside with our dog in the leaves too.

I remember going to Halloween parties and Haunted Houses.

I loved to go tricker treating.....It was so fun as a kid, costumes were so much cooler. I remember friends of my mom's coming to our house dressed as The Fonz and Pinkie Tuscadero.

I remember my Uncle had this really scary mask and he would wear it with this old conductor outfit...it was like a denim stripped jumpsuit...and he was 6'3 and a big guy...and he went to my Aunt's house and knocked on the door...and she had no clue it was him, she thought he was just a really ugly person, and she went and got her husband and said the door was for him.

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:07 am

I always loved going for walks with my parents in a big comfy sweater. I liked that the air was cool but not cold. I loved seeing all the trees by my house as a kid turn colors and fall. We always had bonfires and the smell of burning wood sticks with me to this day. Oh how I love the fall!

My mom always made us the best HAlloween costumes and I loved trick-or-treating at night too.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:41 am

My favorite memories were of when I was in junior high and went to Orchestra camp, in Louisiana. It wasn't Halloween, but it was fall, and I loved being in the woods, and there was a hayride, and a campfire.

I remember having a halloween party when I was in 4th grade, and my mom played a gypsy fortune teller, and made up hilarious fortunes for all my friends. We actually bobbed for apples, if you can believe it.

I remember being able to celebrate Halloween in elementary school, having orange and black cupcakes, getting treat bags, having ghost and black cat decorations in the classroom. That would never happen nowdays.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:53 pm

my fav memories are of me, the husband, and the child driving around the poconos (where i'm from) looking at the foliage and going to local festivals.
trick or treat

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:07 am

One of my favorite memories happened just 3 years ago. My brother-in-law is in the national gaurd, and they wanted to have a dance for Halloween, and asked me to help with the decorations. Did I say help? I sort of took that part over (can you imagine) and I had a whole gym to decorate!!! It turned out great...we had a graveyard with a real fence (my neighbors were replacing their fence and I asked if I could have a few pieces) complete with cool lighting and spanish moss...dracula in a full sized coffin flanked by pots with black branches...20 (count 'em) 20 pumkins of various designs...lots of webs and orange lights, luminaries, candelabra, cheescloth draped everywhere. And my favorite...along the empty wall above the bleachers, a HUGE yellow moon, and a whole flock of bats (some 4 feet across) cut out of black paper. All the tables had candles, spiders, pumpkins, fall leaves with black or orange tablecloths. We even had babysitting (my daughter and two friends dressed as princesses) to entertain the kids so that families with kids wouldn't have to pay for a babysitter...(the kids had their own space and their own little party) Anyway, long post, but it was great! It was so much fun for me, and the soldiers and their families had a blast (which is the most important thing). I even got to judge the costume contest!

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:51 am

Mine would have to be the year my fiancee and I dressed up and just went around town being silly and checking out really cool decorated houses. I was dressed as a bat and he was a female zombie. We went to the mall where they had TOT and he put on his Arnold govinator voice and shook hands with people. We got soooo much candy as we were the only adults dressed up. We didn't ask for any, it was just given to us by shopkeepers and kids! We had quite a few people convinced he WAS Arnie. It was pretty funny. Then we went to The Haunted Vineyard (a local haunted attraction) and worked the best shift ever scaring people!!
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:29 pm

I've complained about the ex in other posts, so to balance the view, here's a nice memory..we used to have three drive ins around here, we're down to one now. At the time, one would throw a Spook show marathon on the weekend before, and we go with a warm thermos. She'd look good in her black turtle neck, with a few layers of work shirts and stuff on top..saw PROM NIGHT, HALLOWEEN, and NIGTHMARE ON ELM STREET that way...
Other fall memories..for some reason, Dylan used to release his best stuff in the fall, and I remember first hearing THE BASEMENT TAPES as well as BEFORE THE FLOOD in the fall. THE BASEMENT TAPES literally floored me. Who else but Dylan could record two records of amazing rock and roll and then refuse to release it for a decade?
Killing Uncle Carl in football out front of the house in a game of touch..he thought he could take us ALL on..and did pretty good, but it caught up with him the next day at a conference at work, when he could NOT move..Uncle Bob telling me about King Kong as a kid while we raked leaves and explaining how the creator of the special effects, Willis OBrian, did his thing.
When I was still in radio, we headed home to someone's to see PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE.. on a warm fall night, over pizza, with a guy who acted as my GUIDE and explained all the flaws and back story to the film...as if we were on an acid trip..(for beginner now, start with ED WOOD with Johnny Depp..)
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:33 pm

uncletor, I like a man who has someting nice to say about his ex....my compliments to you! :D

autumn
Vampire

Post by autumn » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love wearing cozy sweaters and those cloudy, cool fall days. I bring my daughter to the neighborhood that I used to trick or treat in (I still have family there). It totally brings me back to the days when I was a kid. I love it. When we get a day when its gray and cool outside, my sister will call me and tell me what a nice day it is. She's just like me. :D

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:08 pm

My dog even loves it. It was cool a few mornings this week, not so humid and only about 65 degrees. When I brought Cooper outside for his morning constitutional, he kicked his back legs up, and bounced around and barked like a maniac, it was hilarious. He's a little maltese mix, we tell people he's part maltese part muppet, he looks like a miniature Barkley from Sesame Street.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:18 pm

I remember bobbing for apples once, this would have been around 1974, in elementary school. Extremely difficult! Basically impossible to bite a wet apple floating in a tub of cold water. But lots of fun!

And I recall the first couple of times I went trick or treating, around the same year, and man, a couple of those houses really scared me! One of them had that Disney Haunted Mansion record playing, the one that came out in the 60's that was actually very frightening...and just the sound of that howling out the front door of this house was enough. Not even sure if I was able to go up to the front door.

Back at that time, the neighborhood seemed pretty freaking dark at night, and everyone got into this sort of thing, so people had colored lights on inside the house, for example, so when the door opened the place looked spooky inside. A lot of people turned off any frontal lighting like a porch light (remember that kind of thing?) to make their house look more intimidating, as if no one was in there. But yeah, they were in there and waiting with those bowls of candy and stuff. A lot of people would answer the door dressed as witches or ghouls or would be wearing some kind of scary mask, and would put on a big act. The whole trick or treat business was a lot of fun for everyone involved.

There was a Toys R Us store locally at the time, closed down since, and jeez...back in the 70's, they had a Halloween display section like we don't really have anymore. The stuff that was available was different--I would say much nicer. Higher quality make-up products, huge LPs with monstrous cover art instead of these little CD cases we have nowadays. Well, maybe I'm being biased, because a lot of cool stuff is available nowadays, but it just seemed cooler then, I guess.

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:47 pm

I also love the cool weather and being able to wear sweaters. When it gets cool outside our house gets reall cold cuz it's really big and old. My kitties always snuggle up with me at night and keep me warm. The dog also jumps into the bed but he's so huge and he steals the covers.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:19 am

You knowm Black Cat, my dog weighs about 11 ponds, and sge takes up the whole bed!! :lol:

Spooky Sam
Crypt Keeper

Post by Spooky Sam » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:44 pm

My dog is a black lab and weighs 85 pounds. When he gets on my bed, I have to schedule a massage the next day...

I also have a black persian cat. We keep her in on Halloween because apparently bad things can happen to black cats on halloween.
Do I SCARE you?

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:31 am

I have a black and a n orange cat. They are my babies! The dog is about 50 pounds right now. He is a husky/shepard mix. He's not full grown yet....ugh.