Those 'real' Christmas tree comical mishaps.....

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Those 'real' Christmas tree comical mishaps.....

Postby Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Oh yes, several accounts to share on this one. :lol: Well, those of us who love real Christmas trees know that the hunt for one and getting them home is half the fun of having them. This year we'll go to a farm of course, but back in the day there used to be several options of people's farm land who gave us permission to search. One year, we got our truck so stuck in the mud it took FOREVER to get it out with 2x4's and such, and my uncle and dad both were FILTHY and fit to be tied...my dad a lot more so when we finally got home and realized we'd accidentally drug the tree through some wild animal's droppings, no telling what kind. :roll:

We lived in New Mexico once and got a permit to get a pinion pine off some land...yep, most expensive tree ever because there are cattle grates everywhere out there and we busted out the oil pan in the car driving over one on the way back...

My husband and I decided to go renegade one year and just get one from the side of the road...at the time the owner of the property did a drive by! He stopped and talked to us, thinking we were out there to be naughty (which honestly wouldn't have been out of the question for us 8) , but we just wanted a tree that day). He let us go (with his blessing to continue, I reckon?? :shock: ) but we left, without the tree (feeling guilty, of course).

One year we got one from a farm that turned out to have MILLIONS of little black bugs come out of it into our apartment, so we got rid of it one night about 3:00 in the morning (I was seriously freaking on the bugs) and didn't even have a tree that Christmas..

Please share any mishaps you guys may have..... :D
'In the air there's a feeling of Christmas...'
Silver Belle

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:23 pm

Oh, Belle, those are great stories! The 'bug' one did make me sad, however. No one that wants one should ever be without a Christmas tree.

I don't believe I recall any actual mishaps with a Christmas tree other than the usual dog knocking it over.... that kind of thing...

Something DID come to mind when I read your stories...

Dad and I had gone to a Christmas tree lot (that's usually what one does around here) to get our tree. We were on our way back when about two blocks from home this new Barry Manilow song, 'I Write the Songs' came on the radio. It was about half way done when we pulled up in front of the house and I told Dad, "Don't turn off the car yet, I wanna hear the rest of this."

"No time!" he said, being one of his favorite things to say.

I told him I'd be right back and I ran in the house to hear the rest of the song.

I got grounded for the whole next day 'cause I didn't hep him in with the tree.

Does that count as a Christmas tree mishap? :)
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 pm

SURE it does! Although your punishment sounds a bit harsh, a lot like the kind I used to get. :lol: My parents' tempers could be so short, goodNESS!! (Totally OT, but now I'm thinking about the time me and my mom were driving in heavy traffic and she kept braking a lot--all of a sudden she yells at me, 'WOULD YOU STOP MOVING YOUR HEAD FORWARD LIKE THAT???! 'Oh I'm sorry Mom, it must be your slamming on the brakes making me do that..here, let me fix it by jamming a steel rod down my spinal column or something.' JEEZ. :roll:)
Last edited by Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Belle

Postby LawP on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:46 pm

My first Christmas as a married lady was my first and last real tree mishap - went to artificial from then on. We picked out a beautiful tree from a tree lot and took it home. We were having a party on the 15th of December that year and wanted the tree all decorated. The night of the party comes and I noticed that my tree was getting a bit naked. :oops: Apparently, you're supposed to cut the bottom of the tree before placing it in water or it won't absorb the moisture. :roll: Our house was small so every time a party guest brushed up against the tree (which was often) a bunch of needles would fall off. :shock: I guess we should be lucky we didn't have a fire (would have been pretty embarrassing for a fire fighter's home to catch fire from something so dumb).
LawP

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Belle, I'm laughin here! Image

LawP, hun.... yeah, cut the tree! :wink:
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:34 pm

not really a mishap, but my parents are notorious for being lazy procrastonaters, anyhoo, one year we got a real tree and it was so heavy, after christmas no one wanted to carry it out. that year the tree stayed up til march (a real tree mind you) and it was brown and falling apart and falling over.it had completely lost all of its needles :lol: oh, my parents! :roll:
kallie0509

Postby kallie0509 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:37 pm

oh yeah, belle that sounds awful. sometimes parents can say a lot of silly things out of frustration.

OBP, your dad couldn't wait? i can't believe you got grounded for that. bummer.
kallie0509

Postby Silver Belle on Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:19 am

Man, that sucker sounded like a real fire hazzard there, Kallie. :lol:
Silver Belle

Tree mishaps

Postby Santa Baby on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 pm

I cant recall any real Christmas tree mishaps except one and its not even a big deal, a little embarrissing for me but...... Usually my husband put the lights on the Christmas tree

and we usually have anywhere from 2000 to 2500 lights on the tree... Alot of work and winding..! anyway this one year he had started late and didnt finish so I thought I would help out and finish the rest of the tree for him since he works so hard and all (awww I know). We were using end to end lights and thats what I did end to end except I didnt know at the time you could only put 3 strands of lights end to end. ..well when my husband got home I was so happy and couldnt wait to show him what a good job I had done. He came in and I flicked on the lights and it blew all the fuses and the lights went out. He looked at me and said you strung them all together didnt you.... all I did was nod, he sighed and began trying to find the ends and replace all the fuses and fix what I had done... He wasnt mad but after that I always let him do the lights!!

Here is the pic of the tree! It's not great one from before digital cameras but it shows the many lights!

I've been an awful good girl,

Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight.
Santa Baby

Postby kallie0509 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 pm

oh, man santa baby, :lol: sorry i'm laughing. how many strands did you string together? i'll bet you looked so cute and puppy-eyed and defeated.
kallie0509

Christmas Tree mishaps

Postby Santa Baby on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:57 pm

well we were working I think with some 150 light strands and some 300 light strands (I think that is right) and I had strung like 9 or 10 together.... I can't imagine what I looked like I nearly cried it was a sad moment that is for sure..... Good thing my Husband didnt freak out, it would have made it worse. We laugh about it now though....
I've been an awful good girl,

Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight.
Santa Baby

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:05 pm

I think the tree looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:20 pm

OBP! :D
kallie0509

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:07 am

HEY! I'm just sayin!!!

REALLY! :D
Ol' Black Pete

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:30 am

I've also had the bug thing happen to me before.

I still go cut a tree down every single year (from a tree farm).

My friends had a cat who climbed in the tree and knocked it over so many times that now they attach the top of the tree to a wall with a small guide wire. It's virtually invisible and the tree stays up every year now!

With my new cat Bagheera...yeah...I'm pretty concerned he's going to climb the tree.
EvilMel

Next

Return to Christmas Thoughts