What was scary to you about Halloween as a kid?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

What was scary to you about Halloween as a kid?

Post by Spooky » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:31 am

I remember we sang a song in music when I was in elementary school, and it was about witches riding on their broomsticks...I can not remember the song much at all, but I liked it...but I remember there was a line about ghosts and goblins in it...and for some reason the word goblin use to freak me out...I was scared of goblins....I have no idea really what a goblin even is, but they just sounded like something I didn't want to have any part of.

Was there anything about Halloween that use to really scare you????

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:47 am

Believe it or not, when I was a kid I was freaked out by the whole idea of Halloween. (My mother says I'm overcompensating now!) I especially didn't like masks of any sort, and was even afraid of men with facial hair. My father's best friend had a moustache, and I screamed bloody blue murder everytime he came around. You know how you turn on the porch light to signal TOTers, well, I used to turn the porch light OFF so that nobody would come to the door!! I didn't really participate in Halloween until I was at least 8 or 9, I suppose (it's hard to remember that long ago!). Funny, huh? Look at me now!! :lol:

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:48 am

It would be the dark.
I grew up on a farm, and you would see it get dark, earlier...standard time would have kicked back in. The trees were bare, and there would be no city ligths really no lights at ALL...for miles..real darkness..if you walked down a gravel concession road to the next house, it was a real test of will..you didn't stray off the gravel road...and even the gravel road had a cold hollow sound to it..a real menace..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm

I honestly can't think of anything that really scared me, other than ghosts. I used to read tons of horror and ghost stories, even as a very young child, and the concept of poltergeists terrified me. But that isn't specifically halloween related. I always relished the slightly scarey, spooky feeling of it.

Once some mean teenage boys tried to steal my candy, and that was pretty traumatizing.

Haunted houses, not the real ones, still scare me to this day. I cannot go through a haunted house. I hate it the whole time and cling with a death grip to whomever is closest to me. I'm a total sissy about it, I know.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:36 pm

Our zoo has a haunted train every Halloween. There is a large hill that you pass on the train and during Halloween season there is a headless horseman. The horse is a real black horse with a man who kid of looks like zoro without a head. It runs around when the train passes by and scared the living daylights out of me!!!

Now I make a special trip every year to see it.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 pm

when i was a kid, there was this church that had a lit crucifix on top of the roof. and on halloween they would light it blood red. for some reason it would always freak the hell out of me, like it was evil or something.

they don't light it up anymore. it's a shame
trick or treat

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Hey spooky, when I was a kid we sang a Halloween song that sounds similar to the one you were describing it goes:

Halloween's coming
Halloween's coming
Skeletons will be after you
Witches and bats and big black cats
Ghosts and goblins too
Boo!

I learned that in Kintergarden.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Hey Spooky...

Was this the song you sang in elementary school?

"Tonight is the night when dead leaves fly
Like witches on switches across the sky
When elf and sprite flit through the night
On a moony sheen, on a moony sheen..."

I believe this was a poem by Harry Behn that was adapted to music...I have heard a midi file of the music somewhere.

I remember this was in a song book we used to sing from back when I was in school in the mid-70's, and I just fell in love with it. It didn't, actually, scare me, because at that point I had done a few Halloweens and I was into the whole thing. There was an illustration on that page of a kind of ominous floating dark cloud somewhat in the shape of a person, floating above and stretching its arms out...and the cloud had a jack-0-lantern head!

I have been trying to find a copy of that schoolbook but no luck so far.

ZOMBIES!!!
Zombie

Post by ZOMBIES!!! » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:37 am

MJ's Thriller video use to scare the <deleted> out of me as a kid. It still freaks me out a bit; those sunken in eyes.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:20 am

Thought I would bump this thread up from long ago...I'm sort of curious to know if anyone else actually heard, or used to sing, that Harry Behn song "Hallowe'en"......

I.B. Zombie
Ghost

Harry Behn song

Post by I.B. Zombie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:14 pm

I do remember singing that as a child. I was in elementary during the 70's and I also remember one about a witch's brew:

Stir, stir the witches brew
Stir, stir all night through
Stoke the fire keep it hot
All must stir the witches pot
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn and caldren bubble.

Sounds silly now but we thought it was hilarious in second grade!

Anyone remember that one from the songbook!
Regards,

I.B. Zombie

spookyboo
Haunt Master

scared at Halloween

Post by spookyboo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:22 am

I have never actually been scared about Halloween I have always loved it. I am afraid of the dark.......but that is due to a retched, horrible baby sitter that used to lock me alone in a dark room as soon as my mother and father left and told me If I would make noise she would beat me. I used to just sit as close to the window as possible to see the street light and cry.
I know sad...sorry to bring you guys down...I was only 5
Wild Winds thou shalt blow
carry away my saddened soul
tis the time of Judgement

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:04 am

I actually was scared by spooky stuff a long time ago--I mean REALLY scared. I heard that Disney Halloween record playing inside someone's house on Halloween, and it just freaked me out something awful! My folks were trying to get me to go up to the house, but I'm serious, it was too much and I had to leave.

Now, I too may be overcompensating! Because after I got over the scary effect of that record, I found that I kinda enjoyed the spookiness. Now I collect Halloween sound effects records for fun. Weird, huh?

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:32 am

rosie wrote:when i was a kid, there was this church that had a lit crucifix on top of the roof. and on halloween they would light it blood red. for some reason it would always freak the hell out of me, like it was evil or something.

they don't light it up anymore. it's a shame
Dude, that would scare me now. What tha hell?!??!

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:46 am

That is messed up.