Most memorable snow experience......

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Re: Most memorable snow experience......

Postby Chris on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 am

I loved that! Those pictures will be memorable forever. ;-)

I think my most memorable one was the first time I saw snow. It actually snowed in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I was in 5th grade and my mom was driving me to school. It was January. Cold for Florida. We were driving by the local airport and there was plenty of sand around there, but it wasn't that windy. However we saw something blowing on the road and it was snowing. It continued until we got to school and we saw it there briefly, but then it stopped. About 30 minutes later though it started again so we all went out on the playground with our dark clothing on and gloves etc and just got to play in the snow for about 30-40 minutes.

Of course none of it stuck, but for everyone in south Florida, it was something that most of us hadn't ever seen, and something that we had certainly never seen in south Florida. It was great seeing it with my mom in the car, if my dad had been there, that would be the only thing that could have improved the memory.
Chris

Postby SantaClaus on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:15 am

That is a great story about the snow and being pregnant. Also the one about the snow in Ft. Lauderdale.

Love them!
SantaClaus
Site Admin

Postby ChristmasPenguin on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:10 pm

The Blizzard of 2005. I lived on Cape Cod, and we got over 3 feet! :wink:
No school for A WHOLE WEEK!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We sledded down this humongous hill on our street. Instead of lemonade stands, we had snow cone stands. (They sold pretty well!) Outside was snowy and fun, and inside it was cozy. The best part was, we still had power! Both my parents work full time, but since everything was closed mom had time to re-create christmas dinner. We baked a lot, too. At night we lit candles and read books by the fireplace! SO AWESOME!

By the time snow reaches Cape Cod, it's usually freezing rain, so we don't get a whole lot of snow, but this certainly made up for it!!!!!! :D
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...:)
ChristmasPenguin

Postby Chris on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 am

Ok, I have another one.

This was March before moving back to FL. Living in NJ (almost 3 years of it) and had gone to visit my mom in south Florida and gone to the Bahamas for part of the time. End up leaving south Florida Sunday afternoon and we were supposed to land in Philadelphia. As we were somewhere over North Carolina, they say that Philadelphia is closing due to a blizzard. So they decide to divert us to Newark. We get near Philadelphia and they say they are closing Newark and the NY airports, and diverting us to Boston. We get to Boston and land in the snow. Get the absolute last rental car, some super-small vehicle. The storm keeps coming east and they close Boston right after we land. We decide we're driving back from Boston to south NJ. Under good circumstances this isn't a short drive. In a snowstorm, it is much worse. However there is supposed to be work the next morning so we have to get back. The roads are basically empty. In NY, it is almost completely deserted, yet so quiet due to the snow. It looks very clean in the white snow, almost like something out of a postcard. It is around 10-11pm by that point. Finally end up back at home around 2-3am, after driving south through the storm.

Decided on the drive that that was enough of the Northeast, other reasons too like family, but that storm was a factor. ;-)
Chris

Postby ChristmasFanatic on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:01 pm

Seemed like when I was a kid, we had snow on every Christmas, I'm sure we didn't, but that magical time of year always seemed 'perfect' and so in my mind, we always had snow.

About six years ago, they called for a lot of snow on Christmas Eve/Day and so my better-half and I loaded up our vehicle and drove to my Mom and step-Dad's. They only lived about 10 miles away at the time, but if the snow was going to be that bad, I wanted to be sure we were with some of the family for Christmas Day. Sure enough, it snowed hard all night and all morning. At the time, my Dad lived about 15-20 miles away and lived alone....I couldn't stand the thought of him not having a few gifts to open and some company, so we loaded up the vehicle and popped it in 4WD and crept all the way to Dad's. We were the ONLY vehicle on the road, too. Now, we live in a very rural area, but still, I expected to see some vehicles, but not a one. Dad was watching for us and when we got into his apartment, he let us snack for about 15 minutes, rushed us to his tree and our gifts, opened his gifts, thanked us for coming and rushed us out the door. LOL He was a wreck about us being out on the road and when we got back to Mom's, she said he'd already called once to see if we'd made it back there, safely.
Ahhh....I love this Christmasy time of year!
ChristmasFanatic

Postby Chris on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:36 am

That is a sweet story. It just illustrates how important family is (and friends too).

ChristmasFanatic wrote:Seemed like when I was a kid, we had snow on every Christmas, I'm sure we didn't, but that magical time of year always seemed 'perfect' and so in my mind, we always had snow.

About six years ago, they called for a lot of snow on Christmas Eve/Day and so my better-half and I loaded up our vehicle and drove to my Mom and step-Dad's. They only lived about 10 miles away at the time, but if the snow was going to be that bad, I wanted to be sure we were with some of the family for Christmas Day. Sure enough, it snowed hard all night and all morning. At the time, my Dad lived about 15-20 miles away and lived alone....I couldn't stand the thought of him not having a few gifts to open and some company, so we loaded up the vehicle and popped it in 4WD and crept all the way to Dad's. We were the ONLY vehicle on the road, too. Now, we live in a very rural area, but still, I expected to see some vehicles, but not a one. Dad was watching for us and when we got into his apartment, he let us snack for about 15 minutes, rushed us to his tree and our gifts, opened his gifts, thanked us for coming and rushed us out the door. LOL He was a wreck about us being out on the road and when we got back to Mom's, she said he'd already called once to see if we'd made it back there, safely.
Chris

Postby ChristmasFanatic on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:59 am

Chris wrote:That is a sweet story. It just illustrates how important family is (and friends too).

Thanks very much. Yes, family and friends are a huge part of what makes Christmas special.
Ahhh....I love this Christmasy time of year!
ChristmasFanatic

Postby Chris on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 pm

I agree, without family and friends, the holidays are somewhat pointless. ;-)

ChristmasFanatic wrote:
Chris wrote:That is a sweet story. It just illustrates how important family is (and friends too).

Thanks very much. Yes, family and friends are a huge part of what makes Christmas special.
Chris

Previous

Return to Christmas Thoughts