Most memorable snow experience......

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Most memorable snow experience......

Postby Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 am

Ahhhh...I do keep dreaming of a white Christmas (sorry Mama Hooch :wink: ), and thankfully there has been a dusting in my area a couple of times in the past on that wonderful day, but I want a Christmas snow that the folks around here will be talking about for 100 years, like 'that blizzard of '93'...yep, in March of that year, my area got 2 feet :shock: dumped on it, with drifts that made our house look like the Overlook Hotel- made me want to pull a Danny Torrence and go out the window to slide down one (well there goes my Halloween reference, but I can't help those- they're in my blood. :D ).

Anyway, it was the best time!! We were out of power for 5 days, but still ate like kings with a fireplace and gas stove (of course, everything was fried, but I am from the South). My best friend drove to my house on bald tires before we got snowed in just so we could be together and we acted just like kids the whole time- we made snow angels, entire snowmen families, had snowball fights..everything was so eerily quiet outside, blanketed by snow, except for our delighted giggling. :D But it was beautiful and peaceful as well. Anyway, by the end, I guess we got a little stir-crazy and stupid, as we confiscated some candles to make Madonna boobs in a 'video' we performed for my parents and brother, to which my dad just :roll: . :lol: It was incredible fun though, and I'll always remember it.

What has been y'all's most memorable snow experience?
'In the air there's a feeling of Christmas...'
Silver Belle

Postby SWC on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 am

I love that fresh snow silence. It's wonderful.

Here in Texas we don't get much snow at all, but last year we got the fairest amount I've seen in years. My most memorable snow was when I was five or so. We lived in New York, I distinctly remember hopping off the porch to walk to the bus stop and landing in snow up to my shoulders :lol: It was awesome- and yes I trudged on through because that's how five year old me rolled 8)
In these little bric-a-brac, a secretis waiting to be cracked

These dolls and toys confuse me so, confound it all, I love it though.
SWC

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 am

I don't have any one experience that I can draw on. We got A LOT of snow in Northeast Ohio. But I did like when it would snow a lot (as long as I didn't have to drive in it), and it would be really quiet late at night but the moon would be out and the snow and ice on the trees would just glitter. Really beautiful. I also liked it during the sunlight where you'd practically need sunglasses to go outside because the sun on the snow would be so dazzling. We don't usually seem to get snow for Christmas out here.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Christmas Knight on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 am

The last couple of years, we've had snow on Christmas here in New Jersey ( the exception was last year :cry: ). It was quite nice to see Christmas lights reflecting off of the snow. I still remember, a few years ago, it actually snow on Christmas day. I made a few snow balls and threw them in the freezer. After all Christmas snow is magical, you know. :D Had to keep some for good luck. I believe I still have it. Here's hoping everyone has a White Christmas, even our friends in the South. :D
Christmas Knight

Postby kallie0509 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:06 am

oh silver belle, that sounds great! i live in central KY and we haven't had a white christmas in about 12 years. last year it was about degrees and it rained :(
kallie0509

Postby Dudley on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:18 am

We'll start with the most recent.

We had a HUGE snow fall last year on Dec. 07, the day I put out my cardboard Santa Uncle Len left me that dates from 1939...pretty much fills a window..it's called Pearl Harbor Santa because Uncle Len refused to allow it to be taken out before then...in honor of the vets.

Anyway the snow comes, and the city is paralyzed. Five foot snow banks around our local coffee outlets..and people are walking OVER the five foot banks to get in and get their joe, with this "Nothings' gonna change my world" expression on their faces..just another Tuesday.

The guy I would relieve at work gets his jacket on and sits down to wait. The two other nurses just LOOK at him with this glance that says:"And WHERE do you THINK you're GOING???"

He tells them I am coming in. And that was that.

Now this guy is total cynical. Believes in his wife. That's about it.

It was very touching when I came in and he smiled and said:"See??? NEVER late. ALWAYS here.. Bye Bye.."

Free meals for just coming in. From where I sat, you could look out over the flat roof of another building and see the most perfect snow drift form and curve.
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby mama2taj on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:29 pm

The last snow expeirience I had was about 3 years ago. I was working at a hotel cleaning rooms and it started snowing really bad. The hotel manager asked me if I could stay at the hotel a couple of days and work because no other house keepers could drive there in the snow. At first I was really mad because I didn't want to be stuck at the hotel without my family and be the only house keeper cleaning all the rooms. So I called my husband really sad and he said he would try to drive there to stay with me. He made it with my son and the manager put us up in a really nice room. So for a couple of days I would wake up and go clean a coulpe of rooms then just go back to our room and sit there all day and watch tv with my family.It was really relaxing. and the whole town was stuck in there houses and off the highway so no one really checked in to the hotel so i didn't really have to clean alot. My husband and I still talk about it.
mama2taj

Favorite snow memory

Postby Santa Baby on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:32 pm

There are so many memories of the snow for me especially when I was little but I can think of the last memorable one for me was a year we had one last really good snowfall it was in March or April. CK might remember. It was at night with the flood lights on about midnight my husband and I went out in the quiet serenity of the flakes and decided to make a snowman. It was a very magical feeling being out there alone like no one else existed but us and the snow falling all around. It was magical and very romantic.
I've been an awful good girl,

Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight.
Santa Baby

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Like the fetching Miss Holly said, we don't really get a lot of snow out here but, when we do it's really nice and it only last for a few days.

We get a couple of inches of snow and the local news yocals have a hay-day, trying to freak everyone out with 'The Blizzard of 2005' or whenever. "Are YOU Preapred for the WORST???... STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES EVERY THREE MINUTES!"

And of course, everyone freaks out and just stays home. It's pretty nice.

One year, however.... I don't know.... I must've been 13 or 14.... but it was snowing and Mom had set a date to go over to one of her friends house and she wanted all of us kids to go too, being as this friend had kids all our ages.

I thought for sure we were all going to die. So, I just bucked up, was prepared to take it like a man and face the impending doom with dignity. I had Mom take a picture of us all, you know.... our last family photo.... and I brought my drumsticks. It was my way of saying that I was going to die with my boots on!

I don't remember the actual visit but I guess everything turned out OK.

I still have that picture though. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:02 pm

:D, this is very cool, I love reading about all of your experiences!...
Silver Belle

Postby SWC on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Ol' Black Pete wrote:
We get a couple of inches of snow and the local news yocals have a hay-day, trying to freak everyone out with 'The Blizzard of 2005' or whenever. "Are YOU Preapred for the WORST???... STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES EVERY THREE MINUTES!"

:lol: That's EXACTLY how it is here, too. Poor Texas doesn't know what to do- so instead we shut down the whole city..
In these little bric-a-brac, a secretis waiting to be cracked

These dolls and toys confuse me so, confound it all, I love it though.
SWC

Postby Silver Belle on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:37 pm

We do too :roll: , schools are out, stores are closed, for what? 3 cm of snow?? People up North must think we're such wusses. :lol:
Silver Belle

Postby MHooch on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm

I grew up in NJ...lots of snow. I remember when I was a kid, as soon as I woke up on a 'snow day' I could tell by the way the light looked in the room that it had snowed. Almost like the light was coming up from the ground...instead of down from the sky. I can see it clearly in my mind....
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:09 am

Just by the way you described it, mammaHooch I can see it too.... I remember the same things, myself!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Christmas Knight on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:47 am

I remember one year back in the late 70's early 80's there was so much snow, that my brother and I were able to carve snow caverns out of the mounds of snow that the plows created in front of the driveways on our street. What fun that was? Boy those were the days, no need to worry about commuting to work in bad weather. Bad weather equaled FUN!
Christmas Knight

Next

Return to Christmas Thoughts