TRICK OR TRUNK

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?

Which is Better Traditional TOTing or Trick or Trunk?

Traditional TOTing
100%
The car trunk thing
No votes

Total votes: 14

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

TRICK OR TRUNK

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Is everyone familar with this relative new way of Trick or Treating. It is usually sponsored by a school organization like the PTA, PTO and is held in a school parking lot. Parent show up with trunks filled with candy and the kids go around from car to car in custome getting treats. I believe the orgin of this new custom was to provide a safe Trick or Treat alternative. What I've seen happen is that it doesn't really replace going dood to door, it's just another way for kids to get candy. I though I see no harm in this practice and I understand the reasoning, I personally prefer the traditional TOT . It's one of the major experiences of Halloween that kids are missing if they only to the Trunk thing. What does everyone think?
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:37 pm

We've been doing "Trunk or Treat" at our church for YEARS.... 12 at least. Last year was my first year actually participating (sorry, I don't have photos :( ). I have mixed feelings on "Trunk or Treat".... it's really great for doing something more in-depth... what I mean is that the concentration of kids is very high, so you can do something like my husband and I were going to do with the leprechuan this year (making a mini person from the both of us)... however, when it was determined that neither of us could go to the church party this year, we changed our plans because I didn't want to stand for HOURS with my arms wrapped around his back as I was hunched over. So... the car-to-car method is good for doing something a bit more elaborate like a "show". Last year, I had all the kids gather 'round my cauldron and I'd add things from my potion bottles, make them say the magic words, and pull out full-sized candybars. I didn't do that on Halloween because there are too large of gaps between kids and I think most kids just want to get their candy and press onward door-to-door.

On the other hand... I have 5 fingers. I mean... I didn't like the kids going trunk-to-trunk because of the higher volumes of kids and the fact that they'd keep going 'round and 'round and you couldn't tell which kid had already gotten candy from you. (We were going to stamp hands this year to prevent that.) More kids = more candy you have to have to give out... so... it can get very costly unless you buy the cheap candy.

... I like the traditional door-to-door ToTing the best. People usually give out better candy because they buy "the good stuff" so they can eat the leftovers. Not to mention, if a neighborhood doesn't get a lot of ToT'ers they're more inclined to pass out more candy... it's... AWESOME.

Based on my ToT experiences growing up whether it was going to the mall or the Trunk-or-treat or door-to-door... I came home more "loaded" with GOOD goodies when I went door-to-door.

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:21 pm

yea i was in a trunk or treating as well although it was a good concept I still like the traditional way better.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:44 am

Hmmm... interesting. I've never heard of this before.
Cool idea!

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Re: TRICK OR TRUNK

Post by OctoberChill » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

I've never participated in it so I can't judge, but I'm a traditionalist so I prefer door to door. When I have children they'll go door to door.

Is the trunk thing more for safety or what?

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 pm

NOTHING CAN REPLACE REAL TRICK OR TREATING!!!!!!!!!!! :x
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master

Post by Hallow's Queen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:14 pm

trick or treatinging,,, nothing else is the same
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:41 pm

I have been tunk or treating once. I prefure trick or treating.
~Nicholas Gordon

Alan Wake
Haunt Master

Post by Alan Wake » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Trick or Trunking is LAME.

It's so the over protective soccer moms can control conditions and make it more 'kid friendly'.

"But nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear." - Stephen King

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Post by OctoberChill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:42 am

117 wrote:Trick or Trunking is LAME.

It's so the over protective soccer moms can control conditions and make it more 'kid friendly'.
Like the t-shirt says, "Strangers have the best candy"

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:34 am

i prefer door to door. i have participated in trick or trunk before when my daughter was in preschool. they didn't do it on halloween to try to replace door to door (the mall tried that and failed spectacularly). they did it the a few days before halloween and made a big party out of it w/ food, games, and inflatable bouncers and slides for the kids.
btw, i did buy the good stuff for the kids. it was a bit pricey, but i refuse to hand out cheap candy
trick or treat

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 pm

That is really sick. Trying to replace trick or treating!!! :evil:
~Nicholas Gordon

california ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by california ghoul » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:34 pm

I've never heard of this before...how incredibly sad/lame! Why don't we just lock up our children in a safe for the rest of their lives with a Nintendo, that way we can make sure NOTHING (ie: UV rays, sharp objects, teddy bear button eyes, or God forbid...neighbors that give out candy!!) can touch them!? Don't adults remember the excitement of going out at night and ringing the doorbells of your neighbors and seeing their Jack O' Lanterns and decorations? What ever happened to the concept of knowing your neighbors, so that if something should happen to you or your home those around you would look out for you? I understand that there are "bad people" out there who do disgusting things, but I honestly believe that the good outnumber the bad, and with a little supervision (taking your kids TOT'ing, checking their candy) this holiday can be considered safe. It's so sad how paranoid we've become. Who ever came up with the idea of trick or trunking needs to be locked up in a trunk before they completely ruin our favorite holiday!
I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin. - Linus

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:54 pm

A lot of communities have a total ban on traditional TOT because of the dangerous world we live in today, but I hae to say that I am a staunch traditionalist when it comes to such things. I would never drive to a parking lot some place to hand out treats from the back of my car. Besides, the reason for "trick or trunk" is that the only people who hand out candy are people who the kids know. Since I live alone, and don't have any kids in the school system, I couldn't participate anyway.

I would hate it if that happened in my town, but it could be an inevitability. This crappy old world of ours seems to be getting more and more dangerous with every passing day.

Mike

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:52 pm

I haven't been Trick or Trunking nor have I heard of it before today but it does sound like a ridiculous idea. Traditional Trick or Treating is great and you cannot replace it with something as lame as this.
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!