Christmas Trees

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

When Do You Put Up Your Christmas Tree?

Within the first two weeks of November
11%
Within the last two weeks of November
44%
Within the first two weeks of December
44%
Within the last little bit before Christmas?
No votes

Total votes : 9

Christmas Trees

Postby GreenElf on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi all, I was speaking a friend I work with today and we were talking about Xmas trees. Now he is from Germany and it is tradition there that they bring their trees in Christmas eve afternoon, decorate the tree, have a big dinner/supper and then open all the presents in the evening. I know of one family personally that does put their tree up Xmas eve but I know it is not the norm in Canada or North America (I think) but does anyone here do that? or know of familys that do. I don't think there is nothing wrong with that but I just know for myself I could hold off putting up my tree. I am not one the real early tree people but by the second week in Dec mine will be up.

I do remember my dad mentioning that they use to do that...well put the tree up Xmas eve no earlier.
GreenElf

Postby Snow-flake on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:56 pm

Mine is up, and has been up since before Thanksgiving.

My mom said when she was a kid, it was a tradition to put the tree up on Christmas Eve, and then they left it up until New Year's Day.

It seems like that would never have been a long time, but I swear it feels like time stood still a long time ago for people, they seemed to be able to enjoy life more. Because, I have mine up for weeks, and it still never feels long enough.

It was the same at Halloween, I always feel like I barely get things all done, before I am taking it all back down again.
Snow-flake

Postby MHooch on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:11 pm

When I was a kid, when I went to bed on Christmas eve, there was no tree, no presents, NOTHING. So it really was breathtaking when the next morning, there it was, tinsel sparkling and lights shining, with all my presents under it. I never knew what a chore that was for my parents until my little brother and sister were born. (I was 13 when my next sibling was born). Then I got to stay up til the wee hours helping to get everything set up, only to have a little person jump on me before daylight screaming "It's Christmas, get up, it's Christmas!!!" :lol: :lol: Now we put the tree up at least two weeks before, and still take it down New Years day.
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby GreenElf on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:28 am

Wow MHooch, really I think the whole Christmas eve set up sounds like fun, magical, amazing through the eyes of a child and adult and I would like to try it sometime but for now I don't think my children would go for that... Maybe someday when I am old and gray with my grandbabies...
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby littledollclaudia on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:30 am

I am putting mine up this weekend. Pics to follow. And yes, I am finally going to post my Halloween pics on the other site too.
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby EvilMel on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:25 pm

As sad as it is...we've got our tree in the house and all set up but we have no lights or ornaments. I've been sick still and so we just haven't done it yet. But tomorrow for sure!
EvilMel

Postby MHooch on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:16 am

Mel...sorry you haven't been feeling well :cry: . Hope you're better real soon!
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby GreenElf on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:14 am

Yeah maybe some hot chocolate, with marshmellows and a dose of Christmas music could get you back on the right track. :lol:
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby EvilMel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:47 am

We had some mulled cider last night and that was nice (except that I boiled it over, all over the half the stove, hah hah).

We are doing cider again tonight but I totally should have some hot chocolate instead. I've got the coolest Christmas marshmellows...from the Dollar Tree store. I need to break them out!
EvilMel

Return to Christmas Thoughts