Was WIZARD OF OZ your first Scary Movie?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Was WIZARD OF OZ your first Scary Movie?

Post by uncletor » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 pm

We were watching TBS the other night when they had OZ on, and I wondered if this was the first movie that scared the Dickens out of you. Baby Brother would NOT go outside for 2 days after, scared that the wind would blow him away...and that melting scene..holy cow..I could not IMAGINE anything more frightening as a child, or at least something my parents would let us watch. And the film still packs a whallop for me..
Thoughts? Memories?
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:40 pm

I can't really remember the first really scary movie that totally scared me but I do remember watching the Wizard of Oz when I was little and I think the thing that scared me was when the trees get angry and start throughing apples and being mean... kinda strange and creepy back then
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:43 pm

I was kinda very old movie, but great story, mostly songs there... Nothing's too scared for everyone...

JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:45 pm

YES, IT WAS PROBABLY THE FIRST SCARY MOVIE. THE WITCH DEFINATELY SCARED ME. I ALSO REMEMBER BEING REALLY SCARED WATCHING THE TWILOT ZONE AND OUTER LIMITS. THAT OUTER LIMITS MUSIC IS STILL SPOOKY!

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Oh yeah and remember the show V when they tore off their faces...I just had a flash of that... YEah that scared me
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Halloween71
Zombie

Post by Halloween71 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Yes between the wizard of oz and salem's lot I can't remember which I watched first.The flying monkey's on wizard of oz always scared the pooh out of me and the scene in salems lot where is friend is flying outside his window.But everytime they were on I watched.
Halloween all year would be great.

JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:06 pm

I READ THE BOOK SALEM'S LOT BEFORE THE MOVIE CAME OUT, THE BOOK MAKES THE MOVIE SEEM LIKE A SOAP OPERA!!

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Ok so The Wizard of Oz is not the first scary movie I saw (my mom has taken me to see scary movies since I was a tiny baby) but it scared the living hell out of me.

My husband and I are both terrified of it to this day. I think it has something with being forced to watch it growing up.

Brent's mom got us the book Wicked for Christmas, thinking it would help calm our fears over the movie (it's subtitled the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West). But we opened it and threw it down...seriously. It even landed face up and we were like "you turn it over", "no, you!"

I can watch pretty much any scary movie but I HATE that movie. hah hah.

Bafa
Crypt Keeper

Post by Bafa » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:16 am

I never considered Oz to be a scary movie. When I was a kid it was just fantasy fun. I was shocked when I found out that it sacred children when my neice saw it some years ago it scared her.

The Exorsist was my first scary movie. The movie was released in 1973, but I was 2 years old at that time so I was obviously too young to go to the theater to see it lol. I saw The Exorcist when it first aired on HBO, I think that was around 1976. I was about 5 years old and it was really a big event going to my mom and dad's friends house that were the only people we knew who had cable TV. We lived in the country and had no acess to cable. The movie was quite scary, but didn't really have any long term effects so far as being scared or nightmores or whatever.

The movie I saw that had lasting terrifying effects on my young mind was some years later when I saw The Shining. I was around 11- 13 years olds and that movie had me messed up for the better part of three months.

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:09 pm

I don't remember if it was my first scary movie but I do know I was TERRIFIED of the flying monkies...LOL

Bafa
Crypt Keeper

Post by Bafa » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 pm

Okay now that you say that I do now remember being a little freaked out by the monkeys.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:33 am

EvilMel wrote:Ok so The Wizard of Oz is not the first scary movie I saw (my mom has taken me to see scary movies since I was a tiny baby) but it scared the living hell out of me.

My husband and I are both terrified of it to this day. I think it has something with being forced to watch it growing up.

Brent's mom got us the book Wicked for Christmas, thinking it would help calm our fears over the movie (it's subtitled the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West). But we opened it and threw it down...seriously. It even landed face up and we were like "you turn it over", "no, you!"

I can watch pretty much any scary movie but I HATE that movie. hah hah.
I wanted to mention the book wicked is a interesting twist. I recommend it if you dare... :twisted: But seriously its pretty cool

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Yeah...there's no way I'm reading that. hah hah.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:47 am

"Wicked" was an AWESOME book, highly recommend it. If you read it you will NEVER look at The Wizard of Oz in the same way again. The sequel, Son of a Witch, was not as good, IMO. And my first scary movie was Creature from the Black Lagoon. That did it for me for swimming in any water where I can't see to the bottom!!! :lol:

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 am

Now that I think, i believe the first scary movie I seen as a child was Poltergist the first one and yes it haunted me for years. People told me that it could really happen and well I was terrifyed for a long time. :shock: To watch it now, it is no big deal but when your the age of about 8 or 9 well it can be pretty creepy as it is not too rediculous when it comes to Monsters, ghouls and ghost in some older movies.