Stockings

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

Stockings

Postby Snow-flake on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Do you guys hang them? I always loved looking in my stocking when I was a kid, I always got 1 little cool present in there, but my mom always gave us an apple, an orange and 5 pennies wrapped in aluminum foil-because that is what my grandma got every year when she was a kid, and my mom thought it was good luck to do that as a tradition.

I remember my Grandma only ever got 1 gift when she was a kid, it was usually an item of clothing, but one year her Dad bought her a pair of used ice skates, and she loved them. I think about that all the time, because of how commercialized Christmas is. How people don't realize what their own grandparents got at Christmas when they were a kid.
Snow-flake

Postby littledollclaudia on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:39 am

I still hang up stockings every year. I have a few pretty ones as decor but everyone in my house has ones with their names on them for small presents. It's so fun to see what people have been hiding in there for about a month. But you have to be good. NO PEEKING!
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby EvilMel on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:31 am

We really focus on the stockings. We cram tons of really cool stuff in there because it's fun to watch what will come out next.

I totally see what you are saying about people overdoing it though. My friends only give their daughter one gift apiece because she gets a present from her grandmother/grandfather, two aunts/uncles, and one from Santa.

So she gets under 10 presents a year, but she's very very happy and doesn't know any different.
EvilMel

Postby GreenElf on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Oh I love stockings, I think that was my favorite thing about Christmas morning. We were always told that we have to wait until about 6:30 am before we could come down stairs and we would see out stockings on the floor overflowing with little treasures. We did always get a orange and grapes and I am allergic to nuts so I would always get After Eights (My fav), shampoo or bubble bath, hair elastics, a magazine and a few other things. We would have them hanging from our fire place but in the morning there is no way "Santa" could have then hanging up. Anyway that was when I was a child. For my children we don't have a traditional fire place so the fireplace we do have doesn't have ledge and what we use is a simple wire hanger (as I like the rustic look) with the stockings hanging from it and I really go all out on the stockings. Anyway my daughter has mentioned how she cherishes the stocking opening in the morning as well. What a magic moment with the lights on the tree glowing and it still be dark outside..Gotta love it.
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby MHooch on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:01 am

We do stockings, too. Makes me think of a Christmas memory. For many years, it was just "Mommy" and "Katie", as her biological father passed away when she was just 9 months old. What a special Christmas it was after Den and I got married, and my daughter said, "mom, we have to get Dad a stocking". So she made one with "Daddy" on it. She was 6, and he's been a wonderful dad to her ever since. I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about it. :D
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby littledollclaudia on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 am

Oh, that makes me a little teary there. I know I kid a lot, but those family moments are what make Christmas such a wonderful holiday. Thank you for that smile today!! I am going to go and call my kids just to tell them I love and miss them.
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby Dudley on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:23 am

somewhere in that house of my parents are four stockings that she made for each of us, individually decorated...we used to stuff each others and I did the same for our family when we were starting out...gadgets, fun toys, we slaved over the stockings more then the gifts...my kids are starting it again with each other...
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:44 pm

Man Hooch...that's neat.
EvilMel

Return to Christmas Thoughts