What do you want for Christmas??

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

What do you want for Christmas??

Postby Snow-flake on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:14 am

I usually don't want anything, but this year my husband and I are buying ourselves a stainless steel refrigerator, and an upright freezer...and I am giving my old fridge to my friend for Christmas cause she needs one really bad.

My son wants a Nintendo Wii, but we haven't got one yet, we are hoping they become easier to find soon.

I have some shopping done.

The one thing I got a couple of my friends.. that is cool, are these Wood Wick Candles...when you light them they crackle like a fire.

I am buying people things to pamper themselves with.

We bought my Dad and Stepmother a garden bench that has a deer scene carved in the back rest of it...for down by his pond.

I am having a hard time trying to think up things for people, I don't want to buy anyone one more knick knack.

What are you guys buying people for gifts this year?
Last edited by Snow-flake on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snow-flake

Postby MHooch on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:06 pm

I've only done online shopping so far...but how fun is it...I can't take a Margarita to the mall with me!! :wink: I've ordered some things for the husband: subscription to Civil War Times, a marine corp emblem tie, a pocket note-pad from Levengers that is leather and has his initials embossed. The daughter I have gotten an iPod (pink, of course), a pretty red coat, and a puzzle box to put some cash in...but she has to solve the puzzle to get it out. THAT will be funny! :lol: My sister and I are going together to get my mom started with a scrapbooking set, my dad...I don't know, he's hard to buy for. The neices and nephews are all getting cash (in the puzzle boxes for the older ones). So...as long as the tequila holds out, I'll keep shoppin'!! :lol: There's nothing like the doorbell ringing and the cute UPS guy saying "here's your package ma'am"!!
MHooch

Postby Snow-flake on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:35 am

Cool stuff Hooch...what's a puzzle box?? I never heard of that...where did you get them?? I am going to give cash to people too, cause kids are so hard to buy for...they don't want regular games or toys and there isn't even a CD out that you can buy a teenager...it is sad.

The scrapbooking gift is an awesome idea.
Snow-flake

Postby EvilMel on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:32 pm

I want all kinds of stuff for Christmas, but I don't have to have any of it, ya know?

My mom is getting some Titans Christmas stuff from Target (she's obsessed with that team) and some pancake molds that are shaped like snowflakes, deer, and such. I'll get her some other stuff too.

My husband...well that's harder. We had said we were not going to buy each other stuff for xmas because we just moved into the new house a few months ago and we need to buy stuff for the house. But apparently he has found something he wants to buy me, so now I need to get moving on buying him some stuff. It's pretty cool because I can't imagine not buying him anything for Christmas. It would just kill me NOT to give him something.

I'm making some cookies for some people who I don't know that well.

I've got a good idea for a gift when you are out of ideas: perishable gifts. Let me give you an example...my husband's aunt and uncle are extremely difficult to buy for. They have a very nice house and are frugal but definitely are not *wanting* for anything. We didn't want to get them something that would just clutter up the house or go unused. So we got them a 6-month subscription to igourmet's cheese of the month club. It turned out to be really really cool (especially for the ~$100 that we paid for it). They LOVED it.

We found out that cheese was a good thing to give to many many people. We bought a cheese collection off of amazon for Brent's sister/husband (we just don't know them that well).

They ended up getting us a sausage sampler from Stonewall KItchens, that came with like 3 different mustards (not those logs/mustards from Pepperidge Farms, mind you...real sausages that you heat up and put on a bun). The mustards were full sized too.

Anyways...my point is that there are numerous perishable/non-cluttering gifts that you can give that are both gourmet and relatively inexpensive. I think the cheese sampler was like $45 (and you could get smaller ones).
EvilMel

Postby MHooch on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:08 am

Snow-flake, look at Miles Kimball.com or Paragon.com (both are catalogs I get in the mail) I think the official name is Bilz puzzle or something like that, anyway, they are a plastic box about the length of a $bill, and you put the money inside, and you can see it, but to get it out you have to solve a maze puzzle. We put a $100 bill in one last year, and it about KILLED the daughter that she had to work to get it out. We had some really good laughs over that. I have also seen ones that are the right size for gift cards. Let me know if you find them.
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby Dudley on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 am

Rememer virtual pets? Well, my son found some in the dollar store for his sister. they are putting some stuff into each other's stockings, and I helped him find out what her favorite color was...I was glad they still had those around...

I give out gift certificates for our version of BORDERS (we call it CHAPTERS up here..) to Baby Brother and his family. Gift basket from the Italian bakery to Mom and Dad..But, with the gift certs, I'm sticking them on a DVD of great science fiction cartoons for B.B., featuring DO-DO THE KID FROM OUTER SPACE..anybody ELSE remember HIM? Along with Compy the Computer Bird, and Professor Fingers???

Meanwhile, ART seems the big deal this year. The daughter is getting a Dali print, and the grand daughter two Disney lithos from the Disney World Store...

Me? I get myself something small at this time of year that I wouldn't normally...book, DVD, CD, somethig like that...I HAVE everything I NEED and so it's learning to simplify that I work on most...give more, get less, stress less,
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby Snow-flake on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Hooch-I just sent you an email, before relooking at this thread, sorry.

I get both those magazines, but I haven't ordered anything from either one of them in years, and I haven't even looked through one in forever.

Do they have a name? I could search on the internet for them.

It is a cool idea. They should be in main stream stores on the shelves.

See...we could be millionaires if we could think up stuff like that and market it. :wink:
Snow-flake

Postby MHooch on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:21 pm

I finally saw something that I want for Christmas: Greetings from E Street, The Story of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band. Dropped some hints to the husband already. (In the form of a note with name of item, name of store and cost!! You can't afford to be subtle with Den!! :wink: )
MHooch

Postby EvilMel on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:23 pm

With Men too. hah hah.
EvilMel

Postby Dudley on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:30 pm

Actually saw that book the other day and figured you'd get it hooch ONE WAY OR ANOTHER...somehow, i think he has it covered..
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby I B Freezin' Wolfman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:25 am

A video Camera that doesn't need DVDs or Video Tape. Their totally out of my price range, (over $600) so I'll bet it's going to be a pipe dream.

A new Surround sound system. Both of the cheaper models kinda blew up on me. Barely limped through Halloween. One, the right side is shot. Can't hear anything out of it. (And I did swap speakers to see if the problem was the speaker. It wasn't.) The other has blown speakers, (thanks to my nephew, who has no respect for other people's property.) Between the two, there's no longer enough matched equipment that can be combined to create a working system.

A new audio card for the PC. This one's dying a slow, fading volume death. It used to kick butt. But now, forget it. I have to pre-amp it, before it gets to the shot surround system. And that causes a decent 60 cycle hum.

So music, for the holidays, will be supplied by my tinny sounding boom box by General Electric. (Actually, if you streach a string between two soup cans, and have the boom box at one end. It sounds better, than the sound directly from the boom box itself. It sounds like a toy with a pull-string chatter box.

The Wolf goes... "WAAAAaaaah!"
45 }*-{)}

Lumps of Coal = 01
I B Freezin' Wolfman

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:47 pm

What do I want for Christmas? I want to not have to worry about anything. I want to be able to get great things for everyone and not have to worry about price or worry that I won't have everything paid off till June.

A couple of years ago, we had a pretty bad curio accident and the Mrs lost a bunch of her really expensive glass things. Slowly, we've been able to replace a few items but, we've got a LONG way to go. I'd love to be able to replace all of that stuff and then some.

I want my hard work to be appreciated and rewarded.

I want my Dad to want to get along better with me.

I want to be able to move the Mrs' folks and her brother out here to live with us so we can take care of them.

I want people to be more damn grateful to one another.

I want to be the Master of the Universe; Controller of all time, space and dimension!!!!! Image

Last edited by Ol' Black Pete on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby I B Freezin' Wolfman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:11 pm

One thing for sure... You can't be master of time space and dementia.

That's MY occupation. :wink:
45 }*-{)}

Lumps of Coal = 01
I B Freezin' Wolfman

Postby kallie0509 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:39 pm

as cliche as it sounds, i just want to be happy for christmas. i've been stuck in a crappy living situation for about a year now and i want to be free spirited like i used to be.
kallie0509

Postby MHooch on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 pm

I'd like to be able to grant all my friends Christmas wishes.....
MHooch

Next

Return to Christmas Thoughts