Odd items while TOT

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
coder
Ghost

Odd items while TOT

Post by coder » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 am

When I was younger going door to door some of the more bizarre items we got has been money, toothbrushes and McDonalds coupons. Someone once told me they got bouillon cubes, although I don't really know if he was kidding or not. I really hope he was.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:50 am

yeah I remember one year my parents ran out of Halloween candy but brought out candy canes from the Xmas past and handed them out! I went to school the next day and a lot of people were talking about it only they didn't know which house they got the candy cane from....I was kind of embarrassed but at least they didn't find out it was my wacky parents who handed out Xmas candy for Halloween.... Its funny to think of it now.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:10 pm

In my neighborhood, there was a Mexican woman with a thick accent who would give kids little pictures of Jesus and say, "Jesus is with you tonight."
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Yeah, I've gotten Jack Chick tracts before. They're awful.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:08 pm

My mother in law used to work at a Renissance fair when my husband was little selling Chinese Yo-Yos...she has a million left...she hand those out and the kids LOVE them!

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 pm

My favorite thing about a Chinese yoyo is hitting someone in the face with it. hah hah. Really...I'm not joking. If you do it lightly it doesn't hurt and it's always a shock.

My point is that I am sure the kids you give those to are never going to do that...oh no...never.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:48 pm

LMAO, I will have to try it sometime....LOL....
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:29 am

I think the WORST thing I ever got was a baggie filled with 100 cents of pennies. Do you know how heavy that can get for a kid?
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:42 am

Speaking of pennies....I haven't noticed anyone with Unicef boxes the past ocuple of years. I know my parents who usually get a lot of TOT'ers always have dishes of pennies with their candy so if a child comes with a box they give them the change too. I don't know if it is just where i live or has anyone else noticed that?

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:28 am

The dentist a block over always gave out sugarless gum, and this was a long time ago when sugarless gum had flavor that lasted about two chews. The childless couple behind us gave out premium quality chocolate bars, the kind you pay $2 for today. Two years ago, besides giving out an assortment of mini candy bars, I had a table spread with a variety of old comic books that I bought in bulk. Every child was encouraged to take one, and I think for a lot of them it was a novelty — they had never had a comic book before. (Today's comic books at $3 to $4 are priced out of most children's allowance range, unfortunately.)

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:29 pm

I dont ever remember getting anything too unique except for a toothbrush from the dentist who lived across from my grandparents house. I think it is funny that people actually handed out some of that stuff. And how funny to give candy canes. I dressed up as Mrs. Claus last year so that would have been so appropriate!
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 am

I decided last year to hand out things that kids could enjoy longer than the 20 seconds it takes to open a candybar and inhale it.

Target had some great Halloween items to pass out last year. I got Halloween gliders there for a decent price... sticky frogs, bracelets. They had a bunch of other things, but

I also passed out mini things of Halloween Play-Doh-- which I'd like to do again if the price is right.

... and this year, I splurged on 1k glowbracelets after having kids peer into my witch cauldron which was glow-stick lit and ask if they could HAVE my glowsticks. I ordered them really cheap at http://illuminationz.com/ and they shipped super fast! Course... I only have 998 now because my husband and I had to play. *angelic grin*

... so those are my "bizzare" items that I pass out. So much better than candy too.

revelesnet
Crypt Keeper

I think I have everyone beat

Post by revelesnet » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:24 pm

About 12 years or so ago my wife at the time was one of the ladies in grocery stores that gives away the free samples. Long story short that year we had a large volume of trick or treaters, so as soon as we ran out of candy each child either received a Downey ball or a box of 1 load tide detergent.
Is it Halloween yet? and by the way it's not makeup it's jaundice.

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I don't remember getting anything weird..a can of pop..it was only one year...that's as weird as it gets here.

We aren't home halloween night, we take out 3 out to family houses (around 10) but it takes all night..lol..they are happy with what they get. Their Aunt usually does up bags with toys, candy and baked goods. So they get quite a bit.

Bewara
Ghost

Post by Bewara » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:10 pm

When I was 8, my Mom took me ToTing around our neighborhood. At one house, a woman put a puppy in the pumpkin container I was using to hold my candy. The puppy was a little black cockapoo. Mom let me keep him :D I remember naming him after my band teacher in Elementary School. lol

but what a weird thing to get for ToT!
beginning the yard haunt adventure