HALLOWEEN MEMORY

Discussion of general Halloween topics
JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

HALLOWEEN MEMORY

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:49 pm

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE HALLOWEEN MEMORY???

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 pm

Please specific.

MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Wed May 02, 2007 1:44 am

There are so many!! But one good one: I dressed as the wicked witch from Snow White, you know, after she transforms...hag face makeup, long grey hair, long black robe (complete with hump on my back :wink: ), I even aged my hands with makeup. I looked HORRIBLE! :D Well, many TOT's recoiled when I opened the door that year, but I remember one particular little girl, about 5 yrs old...she took one look at me and started BACKING DOWN THE PORCH STEPS...she never took her eyes off of me, didn't turn her back. Her Dad had to come up and get her candy, 'cause there was no way she was coming back onto that porch. :lol: Now, hopefully, I am one of HER favorite Halloween memories!! :wink:

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Wed May 02, 2007 2:53 am

MHooch wrote:...Now, hopefully, I am one of HER favorite Halloween memories!! :wink:
THAT, my wonderful MHooch, is a simply BEAUTIFUL notion.

One of my favs came after I became a father (my daughter is now 21 and in a good way... heh heh). Brittany was nine or ten and I had been reading 'Hamlet' to her and we'd seen a couple of of movies (Mel Gibson's was her favorite, Probably 'cus it was shorter, while I prefer Kenneth Branagh's). It was around Halloween and I remember her just popping up and saying, "Daddy, wouldn't it be cool, if for Halloween, I went as 'Ophelia' back from the grave?"

I was so proud as to how clever that was, we started planning right away. I went to a local thrift clothing store (there are a lot of weird things to find, here in Portland) where I found this old victorian style dress... I took it in for her myself... I was a lot more "crafty" than I thought I could be. We found this plastic vine sea-weed type stuff and Michael's and we painted her face white and her lips blue and we put flowers in her hair and I tell you, she looked beautifull horrible.

She said that people were asking her all night what she was and when she told them, they pretended to know what she was talking about... I think in some way she kind of got a kick out of that. Like Father, Like Daughter, I guess... hehehe

And to this day, we still kick each others arses...... cus we never took any pictures.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Wed May 02, 2007 2:22 pm

I remember about 3 or 4 years ago, I dressed up as Michael Myers (looks real) just like in Halloween movie! On Halloween nite, I was handling out candies to TOTs. I stand at the front door and stay put myself, when the kids come up on the front porch, I opened the door and the kids run away... So their parents have to come up to me and take the candies. :lol:

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm

**Hooch raises her hand and squeals..."OOH, OOH, I've got another one!!!"**

I hope I can tell more than one...

Anyway, I dressed one year as a Klingon, complete with prosthetic forehead, lots of wild hair, etc. And a guy that I've known for about 15 years stood right next to me at this party and talked to me for 30 mins and had no idea who I was. I LOVE THAT FEELING!!! 8)

Thanks for letting me share (sounds like a Halloweeners Anonymous meeting, doesn't it? :roll: :lol: )

Big_Guh
Haunt Master

Post by Big_Guh » Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 pm

AHh...so many great memories. One that stands out is when I was a young kid. I remember it was about 4 o clock on Halloween and I had just gotten home from school. I had worn my wolfman costume to school that day and already had had a lifetime's worth of candy at our classroom party. When I got home I was completely stoked. I just wanted it to be dark so I could start TOTing. I decided to walk outside. As soon as I walked out, a crisp fall breeze hit me carrying the scent of burning pumpkins. The sky was a dull orange (the sun was beginning to set) and fallen autumn leaves were swept all around me, swirling. it was at this moment that the spirit of the season really resonated with me.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 am

Beautifully said Big_Guh!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Tue May 08, 2007 2:46 am

I really don't have any specific 'whole' memories of any one Halloween, more like just bits and pieces of many. An amalgam of everything kind of becomes one big Halloween memory. I remember things like what I was and getting to decorate the classroom at school. Cutting out leaves and hanging crape paper. Stuff like that.

I mentioned that I'm reading this book call October Dreams. It's this collection of famous 'Mystery; Horror; and Sci-fi' genre authors telling all their little stories about their Halloweens and children and then some.

It makes me really wish I could remember things in more detail 'cuz I KNOW I had some really great times!

I really love reading all of your stories. Keep up the great stuff!!!

BTW: did you know that Federico Fellini died on Halloween?
That should be a new thread: Famous people who were either born or died on halloween.

William
Haunt Master

Post by William » Wed May 09, 2007 1:35 pm

My memory si when i joined this site and saw how many ppl love Halloween as me ^^ i luv you all :)
Halloween is coming,be sure to be dead until then, if not all hallows eve will take care

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed May 09, 2007 11:53 pm

William!!! Welcome back!!! Good to hear from you. :D

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 am

Once, a lifetime ago, I used to be in radio.
Radio is like being in the CIA, a Catholic, or a member of the mob. Once you are in, you are never OUT...at least not in THEIR books...you have just fallen from the TRUE path, and should be coaxed back in...to THIS day, I get calls from old cronies...this Halloween community here comes close to the same kind of near family atmosphere..
When I was in radio, I couldn't trick or treat for a couple of years..couldn't get the time off as the new guy in the station, so I was stuck on air wishing I could be somewhere else.
We did the best we could to make it cool...put on WAR OF THE WORLDS, and some old time radio spook shows..very cool to hear..
But soon it was midnight and I was sighing to myself...seeing the wind blow across the sharp angles of the evening light...announcing already that Novemeber and the Christmas rush were coming in..we would start planning the Santa parade and our float in it soon..
One of the guys rescued me at this point. He had a yearly ritual of inviting people to his place after we put the station to bed to watch PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE. There were about a dozen of us, and everybody was in a chuckling good mood..I couldn't figure it out, but I was not worried. It wasn't a conspiracy chuckle...it was more like a joke they WANTED you to get..you were WANTED to be included...
Now, remember...this was BEFORE that nasty book GOLDEN TURKEYS:THE WORLDS WORST MOVIES. This was BEFORE Johnny Depp in ED WOOD. At this point, PLAN NINE was still THE underground movie cult hit. You'd order in pizzas, and your guide would take you through the flick on t.v., pointing out the mistakes in it, showing the goofs, telling everybody to shut up before a cool piece of dialogue or in anticipation of a cop scratching himself with a service revolver.
Commercials were for brief informal bios on people like Tor Johnson, Vampira, and Ed himself...Yes, this played on t.v., usually in a package with BRIDE OF THE MONSTER and some other Bela films that were sold in blocks..
Now, consider what a labor of love this was..the VCR was just fresh to the biz..you had to stay up to see this. There was NO net, NO IMDB, you had to go to cons and find out and spread the word by photo copied pages to the next fan...you could even get a copy of the script if you knew the right people...they would only charge for the copy and postage fee...
This was SUCH a liberating experience for me. Such an eye opener. There were NO goths, punks, or kids dressed up like their favorite CURE video. Even the rock video was JUST being thought out. Every Hollywood rule was cheerfully stepped on intentionally or not. The only fims that came close to the same sort of rule busting were spaghetti westerns and Mexican monster movies..I had never HEARD of this flick...it was amost beyond BELIEF that Bela ended his life this way...but I was so HAPPY he had..it was so loopy, so funny, so earnest that I lost my heart to it immediately.
My sadness at not getting out to see the kids evaporated.
The show ended at three or four, I can't remember, and I got the hammock out back. It was a warm November, and I woke up the next morning with Santo the dog and Blue Demon the cat on my lap and feet. It was pancakes for breakfast, cooked on the grill out back, and everybody spouting their fave quotes from the script to each other...to this day, I can spot who is calling me up from that gang when they say:"You see??? You see??? You of earth are IDIOTS!!"
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sat May 12, 2007 10:38 am

Can you prove it didn't happen?????

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun May 13, 2007 1:27 am

Oh, uncletor, you are just the best!!! 8)

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Wed May 23, 2007 9:58 pm

halloween memory

ok, so when i was 10 we were members of this campground. tons of people were members and it was like a community, everyone knew each other and all us kids played together. so 1 time there was a halloween themed weekend (actually it was just friday and saturday)
friday night was horror movie night in "the den". we viewed halloween 4
Nothing else on friday coz we were saving our energy for saturday.
saturday mornign we're back in "the den" carving jack-o-lanterns. then everyone decorated their trailers (remember it's a campground) as scary as possible, nice and funny was not an option. then came the trick or treating, we dressed in our costumes (i was a princess coz that summer i was in a wedding and i wanted to get more use out of my bubble gum pink frilly dress my mother was forced into buying for me. now remember i had said we were like a community, so all us kids went all around (at least 50 trailers) and filled our bags to the top. it was great coz we didn't just get 1 piece of candy. everyone handed out those little paper treat bags full of candy. then the big moment arrived. THE PARTY!!!!!!!!!! bobbing for apples (i was the only 1 to get an apple coz i was all for playing in water) ,the costume contest ( i came in 2nd for the prettiest costume. a little girl had a better princess costume. even i said her dress was better) playing tag outside in the pitch black, telling ghost stories, and all the sweets we could eat. it was great. then sunday was halloween hangover day. we recovered and still had actual halloween night to look forward to

i hope my daughter has great halloween memories like that
trick or treat