Favorite Halloween Childhood Memory

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MyersFan1
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Favorite Halloween Childhood Memory

Post by MyersFan1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Hey everyone, i was just curious to hear what your favorite halloween childhood memory is. My favorite would have to be when i would make an anual visit to my grandparents house who lived in a small country town. This visit would usually be the day before halloween. My grampa and father would create there own hayride with my grampa's tractor. The hayride became quite popular with the chidren. The path of the hayride would take you pass fields of corn and pumpkins and the communitly would help decorate the path of the tractor with halloween decorations such as ghosts in the trees, scarecrows, and jack o lanterns. The cool, crisp autumn air and the changing leaves would create the most magnificent halloween feel and spirit.

Boo
Master Reaper

Post by Boo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:58 am

I've already posted this but here it is again. And I suppose I wasn't a kid.
I don't remember much of specific Halloween's when I was a boy but I do rememeber being excited on the day, and the spooky approach of darkness.

There was one October 31st back in 1994 when I was at university in Cambridge (UK). It was one of those cold autumn days with a slightly brooding sky.

I attended lectures in the morning (Cambridge is great for spooky atmosphere, with all those old buildings), and afterwards I stopped into the local supermarket to buy a pumpkin and some bits for the Halloween party the next day. I walked home through one of the parks, enjoying the broody weather and the long lines of fallen leaves.
When I arrived back at my apartment I set to work on carving the pumpkin and put a copy of Bram Stokers Dracula on the video player.

I caught up with some friends to discuss costumes for the student party the following night and then tucked into 'The whisperers in the Darkness' by HP Lovecraft, as I was reading the sun set and there was a perfect Halloween glow to the air.

I lit the lantern, and some candles and sat down to watch the Witches of Eastwick on the TV (taking the phone off the hook...this film is my annual Halloween watch). As the film drew to a close I thought I'd walk out into the garden and get some air. A bonfire was burning two gardens down, creating a wonderful smokey feel, the air was cold and there was a magic feel enhanced by the swift movement of the clouds across a perfect sky (only my imagination I know but I could feel it).
As the Witches of Eastwick music played in the background a number of bats detached themselves from the cherry tree in the garden and fluttered around. I just stood there captivated by a magical ambiance that I've never experienced again but will always remember.
The steeples are white in the wild moonlight,
And the trees have a silver glare;
Past the chimneys high see the vampires fly,
And the harpies of upper air,
That flutter and laugh and stare.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:14 pm

I already posted this in a past thread, but what the hell:

All my fondest childhood memories stem from Halloween, so I, too, will have a difficult time deciding on a favorite. But since I'm killing time at work, perhaps I will relay a short one for any curious readers.
It was probably '75 or '76, and I was decked out in my annual Grim Reaper garb. Before going trick-or-treating, we went to an annual afternoon Halloween carnival at a local park which had games, candy, and a Haunted House held in the gymnasium. The sun was starting to set, so we knew it was time to go out and bang on some doors.
While making our way down a main thoroughfare, we spotted what appeared to be a life-sized wax figure sitting behind the wheel of a parked car. It held in its lap a space helmet and was wearing some sort of homemade space suit, complete with flashing LED lights. My friend and I peered at it through the passenger window, commenting on how life-like it looked. It was obviously wax, we thought, because the face had this waxey, glazed look about it; the eyes were open but appeared to not be focusing on anything. We both agreed it was quite creepy looking My friend decided to gently tap on the window, just for the hell of it. As he did, this being we felt certain was fake quickly snapped its head around and stared directly at us, its countenance unchanged. It was straight out of a horror flick! Needless to say, we high-tailed it all the way down the street, screaming.
An hour or so later, in the thick of trick-or-treating, we came to a house with a dimly lit porch. A few Jack O'Lanterns grinned at us menacingly from its front steps. As we made our way up the long walkway that lead to the porch, we noticed a stuffed dummy sitting on a chair next to the front door. Having been once bitten, we were definitely twice shy about taking for granted that this dummy was fake. Getting a closer look, we saw that it had straw poking out from it's neck, legs, and wrists, so we both concluded that this dummy was, indeed, a fake. Still, we cautiously made our way to the front porch, eyeing the dummy suspiciously. My friend rang the bell while I kept an eye on the dummy. A very nice lady answered and tossed a few sweets into our open pillowcases (there were so many houses in the neighborhood in which I grew up, that we needed the strength of a pillow case to haul all our Halloween booty). We heaved a sigh of relief, thanked her and turned to make our way off the porch. Fooled again! The stuffed dummy flew off its chair screaming like a banshee and chased us off the property. I think I mighta peed myself, but THAT memory is comfortably repressed.
Man, I miss Halloween as a kid. I'm glad there's folks like us keeping it alive
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:16 pm

haha ooo im sorry...i didnt realize this was already a thread! But i did enjoy reading about your fond halloween moemories...thanks for posting.