Jake with a limp- A continuing work by nostalgiascape

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Jake with a limp- A continuing work by nostalgiascape

Post by Nostalgiascape » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:19 pm

I will be writing this story in pieces as I go. It is not a shared story, this is a solo effort. I hope someone enjoys it down the road.

I will begin working on the story later tonight.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 am

The town of Temperance Arizona was a small dusty village surrounded by brush and cactus. It was your average small town. Everyone knew everyone else's business, and small time politics usually prevented the town from growing into anything considerable. Not much happened in Temperance. Crime was virtually non existent, and every morning the round table boys usually met for coffee, eggs and gossip at the corner cafe. The round table boys was a quaint nickname which the group earned for meeting every morning at the only round table in Bigsbys Cafe. All other tables were square.

Down Main Street at the Stop N Fuel there worked a passive and quiet man in his late 30's by the name of Jacob Walther. But most folks liked to call him 'Jake with a limp' when they talked about him behind his back. Folks didn't ordinarily dislike Jake, but they weren't sure about him either. He was quiet and he kept to himself, but he was always polite and he was known for being a hard worker. When he wasn't working at the Stop N Fuel, he mainly did side jobs for the community such as landscaping and repairs. He always kept busy, and he rarely went home except to rest and eat. That was it. Since people didn't have any facts on Jacob, they liked to speculate about him. 'Maybe he doesn't like to go home, because he's a terrible house cleaner and his home is filthy!" One person once said. "I heard that his house is haunted" another said. "Maybe he's like one of those psychopath types." Said another. No one would ever speculate anything normal or possitive about the man they called 'Jake with a limp'. They didn't even know how he came by the limp. He would never tell anyone.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

deadbride
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by deadbride » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:34 am

More! More! More!
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:53 pm

One July afternoon just a few years ago Jacob had just finished his duties at the Stop N Fuel. And even though he was all caught up, he still stuck around to wipe of some counters by the deli area that really didn't need to be wiped down. Standing at the register counting lottery tickets; a duty performed at shifts start, was Jacobs relief and the owner of the Stop N Fuel. Her name was Maddie Glennan. She was nice woman in her middle fifties who stood about 5'4" with a light frame and curly blondish gray hair. She was a bit rough around the edges but very friendly. Maddie didn't have enemies in Temperance, leastwise none that she was aware of. Maddie looked over to Jacob as he was obviously stalling from leaving the store.

"Hun, your shifts over you know. You clocked out, you can go on home now." Maddie said.

Jacob looked at her with a half grin and stopped wiping the counters.

"You can't possibly want to spend any more time in here." She added with a laugh.

"No Maam, I suspect i'll be going now." Jacob said very politely.

"All these years working for me, you don't have to call me Maam, call me Maddie Jacob."

"Yes Maam...Maddie." Jacob stuttered nervously.

Jacob walked towards the single entrance door, squinting from the glare of the bright Arizona sun magniifed through the glass.

"Arentcha forgetting something?" maddie asked.

"Don't think so." Jacob said curiously.

"Your paycheck Jacob! And here, take a bottled water from the cooler, you need to stay hydrated." Maddie said with a caring smile.

"Yes Maam..Uh..Maddie, sorry." Jacob replied. Jacob grabbed his check and the water and walked outside into a heatwave.

He didn't want to go home. He never wanted to go home. He wasn't stupid, or mentally hindered in any way. What really ailed Jacob Walther was that he was a broken man. In one year, his whole life turned upside down. And that home was a direct reminder of what and who he had lost.

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:13 pm

More! More! More!

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Ok I'm hooked!

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Jacob walked down Main Street. Occasionally he would hear folks tell him hello. But he knew how they talked about him. He knew his nickname was Jake with a limp. He always kept it at the back of his mind that he would keep people at arms length. Jacob walked into the bank and stood in one of three lines to cash his check. Suddenly he felt himself pushed backwards as Kenny Alvarez stood in front of him in line.

"Kenny, that was my spot." Jacob told Kenny.

"Yeah well, you understand right?" Kenny replied.

"No I do not understand." Jacob replied.

By this time everyone was watching the two. They knew that Jacob was the quiet and reclusive and they knew that Kenny liked to get into fights. Just as Kenny was about to turn towards Jake, the bank manager spoke up from his desk.

"Jacob, how are ya bud. Let me just cash your check right here, how’d that be?" said Bob the bank manager.

"That sounds fine." Jacob turned his back on Kenny and went to get his check cashed. His trademark limp seemed to slow his walk to the manager’s desk.

"You got lucky you <deleted> gimp." Kenny said.

"Do you like cashing your checks here Kenny?" Bob spoke up.

"What kind of question is that?" Kenny asked.

"Answer the simple question, do you like cashing your checks here?" Bob insisted from his desk.

"Sure." Kenny replied.

"Then I suggest you learn how to behave in this establishment or I will cancel your account and you can drive clear down to Phoenix for all I care." Bob spoke in a sharp voice.

Some of the folks laughed under their breath. The bank manager had embarrassed Kenny and as far as Kenny was concerned, it was Jacobs fault. Jacob knew trouble would be waiting for him.

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:49 pm

Thank you. Its a wonderful story so far! You know I'm hooked! I'm an avid reader. I read historical novels (mostly) of 400 or more pages in 2 nights time. :oops: I usually can't put them down. Keep up the great writing when you get time! I'll be here to read it!! Thank you again! :D

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 am

Amen, deadbride...really good, nostalgiascape!

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:57 am

Thank you. I will add to it each day.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 am

I agree, great job. I can't wait for more!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:11 pm

I know this is terrible, but my computer is being repaired.
next installment will be Sat Night. Hang in with me.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:24 pm

The suspense is killing me.... :shock: LOL

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh NO! The Suspense! I'll die! gasping for air.........LOL

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:30 pm

I'll make it a long post.