Lon
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Horror movies as tradition during Halloween season

Post by Lon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 pm

Anyone else watch horror movies between now and Halloween? I always start off on Labor Day weekend with a couple of horror movies and continue on until Oct. 31. I have my staple horror films that I watch every year during this time but also throw in movies I haven't seen before.

The staples every year are:

Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
Dracula
Bride of Frankenstein
The Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween (always mid-October)
The Blair Witch Project (always the first weekend in October)
The Fog (original)
The Exorcist
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters 2
Halloween: H20
Psycho
Sleepy Hollow

Uncle POE
Master Reaper

October IS Horror Movie Month

Post by Uncle POE » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:04 am

I posted something similar in the TV section ...

I watch Horror Movies all year long, but I tend to hold off watching the classics until October ... and then it's all month long.

A list of what I consider Halloween/October classics (not all ready mentioned):

An American Werewolf in London
Curse of the Demon
Fright Night
Hellraiser
Phantasm
Pumpkinhead
The Re-Animator

And two vastly underrated and/or underappreciated classics:
The Mummy
The Invisible Man

October 30th is always "It's Alive! It's Alive!" Day ... watching the classic Frankenstein trilogy ... AND the too-often overlooked "The Ghost of Frankenstein"

I pretty much do a themed Double Feature + everyday, so these are but a small sampling.

Haunter
Crypt Keeper

Post by Haunter » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:18 pm

I watch all of the Halloween movies in the month of October. They are still my favorite movies to watch this time of the year. I do enjoy some of the others listed. Between the Halloween movies and haunted houses. I stay quite busy. I hate when October ends. It's kinda depressing. October is the best month. This Halloween stuff is great. Thanks to everyone who is actively involved on this forum. You all make it very enjoyable to be a part of this forum. Take Care everyone!
All alone in the woods with nothing but the smell of smoke from the camp fire, cracking leaves as you walk and seeing your breath from the cold crisp air. Halloween is my favorite time of the year!

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:05 am

That's quite an impress line up. I though everyone watched Halloween (78) at about 8 or 9pm on October 31st. :D
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi Haunter,

You said: "I hate when October ends. It's kinda depressing."

I know exactly what you mean. I share a similar experience, but mine follows the Mardi Gras season in south Louisiana. Unlike the parades of New Orleans, in Cajun country we celebrate the season by masking and begging for food in a manner similar to the practice of trick-or-treating on Halloween (except that we do it on horseback during the daylight hours). This tradition is known as "running Mardi Gras" or "courir de Mardi Gras" in Cajun French. I loved Halloween as a child, and then came to love this distinctly cultural, Mardi Gras masking celebration, which serves as a rite of passage from childhood to adulthood for young Cajuns. Now, I love them both. Yes, Mardi Gras and Halloween are my favorite holidays; they satisfy my need to wear a mask twice a year, so that I don't feel the need to wear one to mask my true identity throughout the rest of the year. We can play at being "the other" twice a year!