Divination on Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
magickbean
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Divination on Halloween

Post by magickbean » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm

Halloween is a night of fun and frolics, of trick or treaters and parties and punch...but it is also Samhain, a magickal night - the eve of the Pagan new year, and the perfect time to do some divination (trying to predict the future)!

On my travels, I found these little activities for divination on Samhain and thought you guys might find it interesting! I can't promise that they will work but if nothing else they are a bit of fun! And could be a good activity for parties :D

:idea: If you pare an apple all in one piece on Samhain night and allow it to fall to the ground unaided, it will spell out the initials of your future mate.

:idea: Hang an apple from a string with a coin pushed deep inside and try to bite out the coin without using your hands. Succeed, and your pocketswill be full throughout the coming year.

:idea: If you walk backward into a dark room while looking into a mirror and eating an apple at the same time, you will see your future mate's face in the mirror's reflection.

:idea: Draw a small circle about one foot in diameter on the ground in front of you. Take thirteen nuts and shake them around in your cupped hands while concentrating on your question. Gently toss the nuts in front of you. Those that land directly in the circle have the most bearing on you. If more land in the circle than out of it, you have a right to be concerned about the question you asked. Study the nuts for patterns which you can interpret. For example, if the nuts are all pointing in one direction this could be an indication of a direction you need to take your problem. If they appear in the form of a familiar object, use that information to apply to your question. Occasionally they might fall to appear as letters of the alphabet which you can relate to your question.

(That last one is based on an old Druid practice where the nuts would actually have symbols (like Runes) so you could make it into a game by drawing symbols on the nuts to represent things - a dollar sign for money, a heart for romance etc and make it into a game!)

:idea: Get a bowl of ice cold water and set it down in front of you. Light a candle and wait for some of the wax to melt. Ask the question you would like answered and tip the top of the candle (be careful not to burn yourself on the flame!!!) slightly over the bowl so that some of the melted wax drips down into the water. The cold water will set the wax into a shape which you can then interpret as the answer to your question!

:idea: Make a pot of tea (make sure you use loose leaf tea, not teabags!) and serve a small cupful to each person. For tea-leaf reading it is best to use cups that are rounded at the bottom, such as cups and saucers, rather than mugs. Allow everyone to drink their cups of tea, whilst concentrating hard on the question they would like answered. When the tea is finished, tea leaves will be stuck to the bottom of the cup and will form shapes and symbols for you to interpret!

Have fun and Happy Haunting! :D

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Hey Magickbean, Thanks for posting these Samhain Activities, I really like the one about using candle wax and a bowl of ice cold water, and the tea leaves one.
Have you ever tried any of these??

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:47 am

I've tried the nuts one before but it didn't really work because I threw them too far out and none of them landed in the circle :roll: lol

And I've done tea leaf reading too - that's a lot of fun, especially if there is a group of you. My grandmother, who died before I was born, used to read tea-leaves apparently. Maybe that's why this sort of thing interests me, even though I hold a healthy sense of scepticism :)