TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: HEY!! WHY DON'T WE START A HALLOWEEN MOVIE DISCUSSION CLUB??

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:29 am

Well, I wanted to keep this club alive for Mike, but I've been so busy that I haven't had the chance to do a review for the movies I watched this month. I'm going to post about a few movies below, there will be a description of each movie, followed by a short review.

Natty Knocks - A small town babysitter and the kids she is looking after struggle to survive a serial killer on Halloween Eve.

I had heard good things about this movie before watching it, and it had some great horror actors in it such as Robert Englund, Danielle Harris, and Bill Moseley, but even with them, the movie was just disappointing, and for most of the movie Moseley looked like Billy Bob Thornton from the movie Bad Santa. I can't recommend that you watch it.

No One Will Save You - A exiled anxiety-ridden homebody must battle a alien who's found its way into her home.

This was a very strange movie, as there was almost no dialogue in the whole movie, but I think that it actually made it more interesting. The back story with the girl was fine, her encounters with the aliens were funny, and the twist at the ending of the movie was unexpected, but it was good.

Spookies - A wicked sorcerer tries to sacrifice a group of people inside his house with the intention of using their vitality to keep his wife alive.

This movie is from 1988, but I just watched it for the first time, and it's apparently a cult classic. I honestly don't know what to say about the movie, it's one of those movies that is so bad that it's good. There wasn't really a plot, and the acting and effects were terrible, but you can't stop watching it because you want to know what they are going to do next. There are many different horror sub-genres, including haunted houses, zombies, and various monsters and creatures, and while it's not perfect, it is bizarre and intriguing enough to warrant a viewing for fans of the genre.

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines - In 1969, Jud Crandall dreams of leaving Ludlow, Maine, behind, but he soon discovers sinister secrets buried inside and is forced to face a dark family story that will keep him forever united with Ludlow.

This movie is a prequel to the previous movies, but it contradicts some of the points already established in the franchise. The story is about a young Jud Crandall, this was the character that Fred Gwynne played in the original movie, and he is introduced to the story of the Pet Sematary. This movie made no sense, because by the end of the movie, IF he just learned how bad the cemetery is, and why it should not be used by anyone, then why the hell would he tell someone about it when he was older? He was supposed to make sure it stayed a secret, at least that's what this movie told us. Also, I haven't watched the other Pet Sematary movies in a few years, but I sure as hell don't remember the dead people coming back as cannibals, do you? This was a pathetic example of a company trying to milk a franchise because they have the rights, just avoid this movie.

Totally Killer - When the infamous Sweet Sixteen Killer returns 35 years after his first murder spree to claim another victim, 17 year old Jamie accidentally travels back in time to 1987, determined to stop the killer before he can start.

I won't go into spoilers for this movie, but I will say that it was a fun ride, with some great moments, and a story that was actually good. My wife and I absolutely loved this movie, and I definitely recommend it.

There were other movies we watched, and there are still a few more to watch this weekend, so I might be back with some reviews.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:25 pm

My kids and I watched a movie from 2013 last night called Warm Bodies on Netflix, and we really liked it. Think Romeo and Juliet set against a zombie apcolypse, but with a happy ending.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:07 pm

We watched Warm Bodies a few years ago, it had some funny moments, but there was something about the main actor that just didn't seem right, and I didn't think he was right for the part.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:36 pm

Oh, well, he didn't bother us. But I can't say I even remember his name now.

I think my daughter, who was watching with us remotely, was mainly enthused about all the R&J parallels. It was fun in that respect.