Pumpkin carving traditions?

Do you have a special way to carve a pumpkin?
MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Pumpkin carving traditions?

Post by MHooch » Sat May 19, 2007 12:32 am

At my house, my daughter and I always take one evening and watch "Young Frankenstein" while we carve a couple pumpkins. Anybody else have a "tradition"?

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat May 19, 2007 12:38 am

That was one of my dad's favorite movies when I was growing up! I remember seeing it when I was in elementary school. I don't really have any traditions yet, but it's about darn time to start some. Last year me and the hubster each carved one, so maybe that's the beginning of something beautiful. A cool fall evening with some candles going, some spooky film scores in the background or a good Halloween cartoon playing while carving some punkins sounds like a GREAT tradition to me!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

revelesnet
Crypt Keeper

Post by revelesnet » Sat May 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Every year while the kids and I carve pumpkins, my wife stands by with a first aid kit ready to call 911

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat May 19, 2007 7:16 pm

:lol: LOL, revelsnet, I love it! Your wife sounds like many of the long-sufferring spouses and significant others of the board members here!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Every year, when I watch Halloween and Tommy Doyle asks Lori Strode..." Can we make Jack-o-Lanterns?"...it puts me right in the mood for carving.

Wicked
Crypt Keeper

Post by Wicked » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 pm

My mom, dad and I sit out on the front porch the weekend before halloween and carve- enjoying the crisp autumn aura! There's just something about an october afternoon...

...But my dad usually has to finish me and my mom's pumpkins- we both stink at carving :oops:
~ do you think me wicked? ~

mamawof2
Master Reaper

Pumpkin carving at our house

Post by mamawof2 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:06 pm

We pick a night (this year its Oct 22nd) and family and friends come over and we all bring halloween finger foods and we pick our partner, usually it's the same ones each year, then after the carving is done we sit them all out on the front steps and a neutral person usually a neighbor comes and judges. All we win is bragging rights, but it is alot of fun.
My niece and I won last year for the first time!!!!!!

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:01 pm

I design my own pumpkins every year. I love buying the pumpkin master's patterns, but the most fun is when you design it yourself.... granted, I don't exactly carve my designs every year. I found a LJ community last year and have drawn a couple pumpkin patterns for people at the site. They're kind enough to post photos of the pkins they carve from my patterns. =)

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:30 am

No real traditions here other than the fact each of the kids carve one (or one big one). dh helps while I take pics.

We wait pretty late because they tend to rot quickly here, must be the cool mornings/evenings and warm days.

Haunter
Crypt Keeper

Post by Haunter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:55 pm

I like to wait until a nice fall evening usually late afternoon with a cloudy overcast layer with a fire burning and listening to halloween music. Anyone else???
All alone in the woods with nothing but the smell of smoke from the camp fire, cracking leaves as you walk and seeing your breath from the cold crisp air. Halloween is my favorite time of the year!

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:14 am

This year my niece is having a pumpkin carving party so I guess we're going to do that on the 27th. Maybe the start of a new tradition.

mama2taj
Master Reaper

Post by mama2taj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:12 pm

My family will be carving on the 28th. We plan to carve then eat a good dinner and then watch a movie. ( then put my son to bed and watch another movie) I cant wait. I still havent' picked out a patern yet though.
Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen, voices whisper in the trees, "Tonights Halloween"- Dexter Kozen

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Re: Pumpkin carving traditions?

Post by Andybev01 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:41 pm

It has to be done at twilight on the floor in front of the TV with The Great Pumpkin in the player and exactly as Lucy sticks the knife in so do I!!

I open them all up and gut them like an assembly line then go to it.

I have to make one traditional with traingular eyes, etc., one lantern-like one that I do with a melon-baller, and then as many as I have time for of whatever designs I want.

The most I've one at once was 8.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Pumpkin carving traditions?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I like to do something simular on the night I carve my first pumpkin. I carve a traditional face with the triangle eyes and nose, and then I watch "It's The Great Pumpkin Charkie Brown" on the DVD Player with my "creation" lit.

Mike

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master

Re:

Post by Hallow's Queen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:57 pm

revelesnet wrote:Every year while the kids and I carve pumpkins, my wife stands by with a first aid kit ready to call 911
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

XD
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image