Almost, but not quite happy with the end result...

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
kevin
Crypt Keeper

Almost, but not quite happy with the end result...

Post by kevin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:01 am

Well, it came, and went. Man, it is amazing how much time goes into setting things up, all for a couple of hours of fun! We were setting up stuff for the kids party up until the last minute, heck, I didn't put my make-up on until after the kids alreayd saw me.

Well, I am most bummed though. The fog machine I bought for my low lying fog crapped out after about two hours. I have no idea why. It still comes on, I can even feel it warming up, but the remote doesn't work. I don't know if that broke, or if it just warms up and gives up! It wasn't even dark yet when it died. So so pissed about that. That was really going to set my scene a bit more.

Then, to make matters worse, my strobe light for the thunder/lightning show wasn't working very often. Talk about a let down. I had a speaker outside on our truss that's over the walkeway, and that was playing just fine. But the stupid strobe would work sometimes, then not for a long time.

Despite the let downs, it wasn't too bad. I dressed up as a sort of Grim Reaper/Death like dude. If any of you buy the makeup that comes in a tube, there is a face on there.. white face with black around the eyes, nose, from the sides and looks like stitched teeth, that is how I do my makeup. Put on all black including a black robe and I got a ton of kids to not come up our path. Plus, we had the purple lights on, not our main lights. Which reminds me.. I had 75 watt purple/black lights and they didn't do nothing to make anyone glow. It's as if I need to have 500 watt purple lights or something! I had two on too.

I did have fun though. I usually hide out along our path way, look out through the webbing we put up. Sometimes I stand still, and like every year, I had at least two sets of kids/parents stare at me for a bit to see if I was real or not. When I moved, I did it in such a way that it was as if I was a prop and not real. One mom came up close to the web to look at me, with her kids and friends near by, and I jumped out at her.. she ran screaming. It was great. I scared a bunch of teen girls as well, and even some 10-12 year old boys.

So it was mostly a fun night, just wish the lightning and fog were working the way they should have been.

The party turned out alright, did about 5 kid games, like musical chairs, guess the candy in the jar, memroy game, pin the gum on the witche's nose and so on. My wife made a ton of food that didn't get touched, that kinda sucked since she spent several hours in the kitchen today. Some of the parents came over later and ate though, so that was good.

I ran out of time making tombstones.. the first one I screwed up royaly, just didn't get around to the second one. At least my cheap crappy fog machine worked.. was able to spit out some fog through the mouth of a pumpking into the walk way.. a lot of the older kids thought that was kewl.

I'll save for another thread about next year. :D

What about you all? How was your halloween?

EvilMel
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by EvilMel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 am

Mine was pretty cool actually.

I've been really really sick, so I was just glad to be out of the bed enough to hand out candy.

We had tons of kids...not the 100 that I had heard but closer to like 80, so that was aweseome. I handed out all kinds of stuff. We got to watch Halloween and give out candy, after the kid parade.

Then it started raining really bad and most of the kids went home. That kinda sucked but it brought out the older kids, so we still had some TOTers after it rained.

kevin
Crypt Keeper

Post by kevin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:41 am

Sorry to hear you were so sick and glad you are better. I wish we had more kids. I think I get the most fun out of the older kids that get scared to come up the path way. If my dang fog machine was working, I would have had fog covering the path way which would have really set the mood. Most of the little kids don't come up until their parents bring them up. I usually end up talking to them nicely and explaining its just a costume like they are wearing. Most little ones will then come up after that. :D