Armor Tips

Chat about your costumes
Sheng
Ghost

Armor Tips

Post by Sheng » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am making a Witchking armor suit, a very nice looking replica out of scratch and costs very little. The supplies are easily obtained through pizza boxes, the local hardware store, and a local used store :) I won't tell you how I made it or else everyone will be making it, but I will give some armor tips to those who would like to make cardboard armor look very untackyish.

1. Use some form of strong glue for example hot glue, though it might come apart after a few years. (NEVER elmer's glue) Also use vinyl spacking, textured spraypaint, printing paper- (the one with gloss on it) and regular 1cm thick cardboard, strong sharp scissors, you can make nearly anything that needs armor.
If you want pauldrons (shoulder armor ) simply cut out a few long strips, glue them into a half bowl shape, glue the inside with many pieces of scrap cardboard, cover the outside strips with vinyl spacking, sanding and spraypainting, you have a durable piece of armor. Or if you want to make a articulated (movable, bendable)piece of armor, cut out a few pieces, use some brass tacks (the kind that has legs and pinches up) glue some smooth paper onto the cardboard pieces, spraypaint, add some cloth straps and you have a fully articulated piece of armor.

It really just takes common sense, and a gift of art. PS: once I am able to post pictures on the forums, I will show you what the heck I am talking about.
Last edited by Sheng on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One ring to rule them all!"

Brimauster
Ghost

Re: Armor Tips

Post by Brimauster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Sheng, two years ago I did pretty much the same thing, but I used plastic buckets and barrels, shaped them with a blowtorch and used old belts and purse straps I got at a thrift store to connect everything. It wasn't easy but it was cool.
For a helmet, I used a baseball batters helmet cut down and added more plastic bits for details. Just another option for you to think about.

Sheng
Ghost

Post by Sheng » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:45 am

I tried to use plastic, namely Sintra, but it was very pricey.

Well, I've completed that, and another cardboard costume. I am now moving onto blacksmithing armor. I am able to post pictures, but it's midnight and I'd rather post pictures of my real set of armor that consists of dyed linen, self tanned deer hide, chainmail, and articulate plate armor. I'll be cold forging the breastplate out of five pieces of steel from scrap metal etc. There will be a black hood possibly with gold runes and a steel skull mask that billows dry ice fog from the eye sockets. There will be more, but I am still creating more interesting ideas for the costume... Or armor now. :)

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Some nice flowers, a good wine and a great table in a quiet restaurant...oh, you said ARMOR...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Sheng
Ghost

Post by Sheng » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, I have been planning this for a whole year already. I'm using tin instead for this costume though, I found out the junkyard didn't have any 1/3 cm thick pieces of sheet metal anywhere, but they did have a good supply of tin, and that was lighter anyways.

I'll start using steel plate when I find some suitable for costuming. :D