Christians against Halloween?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
hauntmaster

Christians against Halloween?

Post by hauntmaster » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Why do the Christians against Halloween? I mean, some religious people say that Halloween is evil! They say that for those people who love Halloween is the devil! Also, they say there are some evil spirits coming around Halloween. People who love Halloween all the time is Satan's worshippers! Well, why did they say something like that?

Please share your thoughts/opinions here.

Larissa
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Larissa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Halloween is originally a pagan holiday that predates Christianity. Christians, therefore, can't celebrate it as a religious holiday, and very religious Christians see it as sacreligious when Christians ARE willing to celebrate it - it's like a Jew celebrating Easter, it doesn't work for them.

Many Christians mistakenly equate the pagan religions such as druidism or wicca with Satan worship. This is error. Satan, actually, is a Christian concept, unique to the Christian church. The pagan religions (polytheistic religions) do not believe in the devil.

But the same way the rabbi of my synagogue, when I went to one, wouldn't be happy about me celebrating the religious holidays of any other religions, neither is the Christian church happy when its member celebrate the religious holidays of other religions - and though we've secularized Halloween in the U.S., technically Halloween remains a religious holiday.
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Certain religious zealots believe that Halloween is the day of the devil. However, it s misnomer to believe that is against the Christian faith to celebrate Halloween. For example, the Catholic church that I attend routinely holds Halloween parties for its youth group. The term "Halloweeen" is the name for the day before the pagan holiday that was adopted by the Catholic Church and called "All Saints Day". This is November 1st and a holiday that honors all the "Saints". This holiday was adopted by the church when the Roman Empire adopted the Christian religion and reject paganism.

I believe the Christian rejection of Halloween as evil was grounded more in the differences between various Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic Church after the Reformation. Many of these churches thought "All Saints Day" and Halloween was too pagan and too Catholic. Today most Protestant churches have moved away from this position. Now it's really only the fundamentalist, the so called "Born again" Christians who have a problem with Halloween.
Last edited by Haunted Horseman on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Ghost Corpse
Zombie

Post by Ghost Corpse » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:09 pm

Oh well, more Halloween for us! :wink:

Even Christmas is a pagan holiday, its actual "true" origins are the Winter Solstice thats why there are even some Christians out there who refuse to celebrate Christmas too. Religious people area against everything, that why many years later they wanted to rival the Solstice Christmas with all religious tie-ins.

Thats why when some say celebrating the true meaning of Christmas is religion, that’s not quite true. Way back when, everyone celebrated it. When I hear people are against Halloween, it makes me wanna celebrate it even more :lol:

FieryFaerie
Vampire

Post by FieryFaerie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Riss, thanks for expressing what I was gonna say. I was raised Roman Catholic and I am now pagan. I have an issue with organized religion (which is why I am a solitary eclectic practioner) and this is a subject that will get me ranting on my soapbox. It all comes down to this: we all really do worship the same higher power(s) but just call it something different.

Easier said than done, but people just need to respect others choices. We may not understand them, but we should respect it. Remind me to tell you guys how a few years ago a Born Again Christian tried to "convert" me and a friend in the "New Age" section of Barnes & Noble. LMAO
I am a member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals. :P

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:14 pm

LOL Try living in the bible belt and loving Halloween as much as I do....I am surprised I haven't been burned at the stake yet.....

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Ahhh, crapping on Christians.

How original.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:05 pm

Ghost Corpse wrote
Thats why when some say celebrating the true meaning of Christmas is religion, that’s not quite true.
I don't quite understand or agree with this statement. The true meaning of Christmas is absolutely religious. The name of the holiday is self evident "Christ" Mas. Even if you are trying to say it was a pagan holiday first, that too would make it religous...You are correct though that December 25 was also a pagan holiday that the Roman Empire used to celebrate the birth of Christ. The reason being, it would have made the conversion of millions of people easier if they had similar holiday celebrations. Also, no one knows the actual birth date of Jesus Christ. So I see no harm in choosing a date upon which to celebrate his birth. But I digress,....we know take you back to Halloween....

Doc, no crapping on Christians here. I am one. BTW, I like the new Avatar, is that a pic of you in custome :?:
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:24 pm

I don't think anyone here posted anything anti-Christian. It's a fact that there are Christians who think Halloween is evil or who think their parishioners shouldn't be celebrating the holiday. Someone asked why.

What's anti-Christian about that?
~Anonymous

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 pm

ATTENTION:

About 3 years ago or so, one of the Christian men that signed up on several Halloween and Horror forums... I think his username went by "Horrormasks" or something like that... He loved to threat and tried to kill some halloweeners and haunters too!! :shock:

For the main reason, he HATED Halloween or any horror reasons anywhere... He did enjoy threatening other members, and also, he did threatening a member who is a POLICE OFFICER there!!! I really can't believe a member that is a cop who love Halloween!!!

BTW, That guy already been banned from all forums, that's the end periodically! I think that guy was been put on 2-year probation, and the judge advised him to stay away from the computer and not to go anywhere near the forum, or else, he will face 30-day jail! Wow!

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Well, that's not a Christian thing, that's a psycho thing.
~Anonymous

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 pm

You're right Larissa.

HM, what are you trying to say? :? That there are psychotic Christians? Of course there are , just like there are psychotic Jews, Muslims, Athiests, Agnostics, Pagans, etc.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, I guess that guy, himself, probably is a Christian Psycho!?!?

I had no idea... Seriously, he did causing other haunters to get upset against him, but he's gone for good! He will not come back anymore because he promised he won't threat or something like that anymore at all!

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:54 pm

I guess he is, though if he's doing it in the name of Christianity, he's got it all wrong. From what I know of the religion, that's not quite the point of it. But if someone wants to carry out psychotic ends, he'll find any reason to do so, whether it's religion or something else.

I hope you're right, though, that he's gone for good. I imagine a psycho would have trouble restraining himself.
~Anonymous

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:48 am

I say "Live & Let Live" Why can't we all just accept each other for who we are and what we beleive in? For me,my core belief of most Religons is to NOT JUDGE LESS YOU BE JUDGED, we are all mere humans, all have faults, none of us are " The Higher Power" so I just follow a belief that, no matter what I believe, my beliefs are no better or worse then what another believes. I have no right to judge another for what they believe, unless I myself want to be judged, soooo I respect all life no matter how different it is from my own "and yes this includes All so called religons and cults" in the end, I see it that we are all people on a journey trying our best to find our own way and understanding of our personal HIgher Power. So please, lets not bicker about such personal affairs. :D