What was your 1st horror movie?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Laurie Strode

What was your 1st horror movie?

Post by Laurie Strode » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:52 pm

Hey y'all, while listing my favorite horror movies on the other thread walla go, I thought of this new one....what is the 1st horror movie you guys ever watched? Or if you can't remember that, maybe you can remember the one that really turned ya on to being scary movie fans.....anyway, my 1st was Piranha when I was around 5 or 6. Where were my parents?? :lol:

I.B. Zombie
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

First horror movie.

Post by I.B. Zombie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:01 pm

LOL..."Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things" and I was about 6 or 7. I don't know where my parents were either but I remember it was supposed to be a comedy/horror type movie (like a hippy version of Scary Movie) but I freaked out for a week when I had to go into a room alone.

I still remember how I felt although I couldn't tell you what the movie was about. :D

BP
Regards,

I.B. Zombie

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:05 am

This is a great question, Laurie!
I could be quite wrong but the first horror movie i can remember seeing was the original '13 Ghosts' (1960), on TV. I really don't remember how old I was, I just remember when it came to the scene where.......

Wait... I'm not sure how it went. It was either the monster hiding behind the curtains and the little boy was sneeking into the room, or the little boy was hinding behind the curtains and the MONSTER was sneaking into the room...... either way, I was just so creeped out, I'd had enough and promply turned the channel. The psychology behind a young impressional boy, scared out of his wits, turning the channel opposed to just turning the darn thing off, is a subject for another day.

That was back in the day when there were only five channels to choose from, mind you. Who knows, maybe I switched over to 'Romper Room' or something.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:21 am

You're a trip, OEJ! :lol:

spookyboo
Haunt Master

First scary movie

Post by spookyboo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:17 am

It was Dracula ...wait is that considered scary? So the guy had some odd eating habits we all have our problems right?
Wild Winds thou shalt blow
carry away my saddened soul
tis the time of Judgement

JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:24 am

PROBABLY ONE OF THE OLD 50'S MOVIES LIKE THE "THE THING" OR "THE BLOB".. OR IT COULD HAVE BEEN "FRANKENSTEIN", "DRACULA" OR "THE WOLFMAN" BUT I DO REMEMBER BEING SCARED OUT OF MY WITS BY "THE OUTER LIMITS" AND "THE TWILITE ZONE"

Catzilla
Haunt Master

Post by Catzilla » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:49 am

:twisted: My first was THE EXORCIST, the flick still gets to a lot of people after all these years ! :wink:
Also...ROSEMARY'S BABY was one of my favs, not sure which was first, but I do know they both scared the **** out of me !!! :) :P

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:50 am

Well I don't remember which was my first scary horror movie, but the "first that I remember" was probably Salem's Lot, and then ones like the Blob, and the Original Exorcist starring Linda Blair, that one really Freaked me out, and yet I watched it more then a few times, but have never watched any of the newer sequels because of how much the original messed with my noodle "head".

JackRyan592, Wow you brought forth to the front of my memory a couple of good shows, The Outer Limits and The Twilite Zone, those both rocked!

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:21 am

An American Werewolf in London

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:35 am

Oh yeah, these are all awesome movies, guaranteed to do their job..put that Halloween fright in ya! :D

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:45 am

Laurie-I have Piranha-I love that movie...the effects are awesome, it was directed by Joe Dante who did Gremlins-so it has some of the same actors in it.

Salem's Lot was and still is the only scary movie that terrified me so much by tv previews that I have never been able to watch it to this day.

There was a picture in a TV Guide of the a little boy floating to the 2nd floor window, and in the preview on tv he was scratching on the window, saying "let me in"...that was horrible.

Also, the preview for "The Shining" scared me so bad, I wouldn't even be able to turn the "nob" on the tv to channel the channel, I run in the laundry room with my hands over my ears, until I felt it was safe to go back in the room.

One of the scariest movies I saw when I was in 7th grade was

"Looking for Mr. Goodbar", and of course Deliverance scared me to death.

My mom and dad would go see Friday the 13th and Prom Night or Halloween at the Drive-In...I remember seeing those movies listed in the paper...I wish they replayed them now...it was such a great time period for movies. I think movies today suck so bad.
They are made to gross people out and shock people, not scare them.

I remember watching the movie "Silent Scream"-it scared me to death.

I loved staying up late on the weekends and watching HBO-especially in the early 80's. We would watch 10 to Midnight, and Silent Rage, and The Legacy, and He Knows Your Alone... there was always a good scary movie on.

I never watched the original "Night of the Living Dead", until just a few years ago...I was always too scared of all the stuff I heard about it...

I like scary movies, but I watch them all with a pillow or blanket over my head.

Night of the Living Dead was still really scary.

Also, I love the original "The Bad Seed"- with Patty McCormack-that is scary because it is so real.

I have been wanting to buy the original "Psycho", because I have only ever seen pieces of it, and I would love to watch it from beginning to end.

My very first date ....I went to see the movie "Terror in the Aisles", it is clips of all the ealry horror movies put in to one movie-it made me want to see alot of the movies I saw clips for.

I remember watching Poltergeist alot, and I hated the scene where the steak slid across the counter, and then the guy's face fell apart- I could never bring myself to watch it all the way.

Another date movie I went to see was "Witchboard", I love that movie.

They don't make good ones any more.

Spooky Sam
Crypt Keeper

Post by Spooky Sam » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:42 pm

The Creature from the Black Lagoon with my Dad. I was about 4 years old and that freaked me out so bad that every time we would go to this hotel in Michigan with little dolphin decals on the bottom, I refused to swim. I always thought they were going to come up and attack me. Jaws produced a similar effect.
Do I SCARE you?

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:50 pm

My first horror film must have been one of the classic Monster movies like Frankenstein or Dracula, I really can't remember. But I do remember the first time a was really frightened out of my wits , it was when I first saw the Shinning., I think I was 11 or 12.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:26 pm

My first horror and comedy movie SATURDAY THE 14TH when I was 5 years old. The second horror movie was CHILDREN OF THE CORN.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Mine was Creature from the Black Lagoon, and I was very young, probably 4 or 5. I still won't swim in water where I can't see the bottom!!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus