Carnival Yard Haunt Ideas needed

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
GhostLaughter709
Ghost

Carnival Yard Haunt Ideas needed

Post by GhostLaughter709 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Hey,

I'm new and I need some ideas for my small yard haunt/carnival this year. I have a dinky yard that I decorate the heck out of and have a bunch of games for the T or T's play on Halloween night. It's a family, friends and neighbor's affair running the games. We don't do many scares since we have so many future haunters here with very large protective dads watching our ever move! :shock: :shock: :shock: I've got my haunted yard games mostly made . . . I'll probably be working on them right up to the last minute! :roll: LOL

Here is where my brain has failed me! I want to decorate my yard to look like a modest haunted carnival. I'm not sure what would give me the best look for atmosphere and yet leave room for the games. Any ideas? Oh and if anyone is looking for some good games to make and use -- I'd be happy to describe or post pics of the ones I've made. Here is what I'm considering making for the yard: A ticket booth, treat bucket lighting for around the yard and ??? See where I'm stuck? Any thought will be greatly appreciated!! I would add a few pics but I haven't figured out how to add them to my post. I hate being new!!!! LOLOLOL

GhostLaughter709
"Look! A new dungeon to play in!!! I get the whips!"

Athenagwis
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Athenagwis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:46 pm

I like the ticket booth idea, how about a popcorn stand manned by a skeleton with bags of popcorn with plastic spiders in them (could even pass out the popcorn this way as a treat). You could string white and orange lights all over the place. Maybe set up a board that simulates the game where you throw darts and have to pop a balloon, you could have a bunch of balloons on there and then have a clear spot with a finger and a dart through it. (Non-functional game of course) You could set up a mini graveyard with the names of deceased carnival participants like the bearded lady …. You could also find a cd with carnival music and manipulate the track on your computer to slow it down and make it sound super creepy.

Good Luck!
Rachel

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Hay Bales... it's around $20 a bale at a feed store... don't know if you have any where you are. I don't know if you want to invest in hay (It'd be messy and rough to clean up). Lots of lights... flashing lights... bright colours. Maybe get some glow-in-the-dark chalk and draw carnie' images or write on your driveway and/or sidewalk. You could make it glow if you hook up some black lights. Tents... balloons... clowns... I don't know what else. Maybe torches or fire (fire and kids don't mix well, though).

As for posting images, I wrote up a "how-to" that's gotten a bit lost. I dug it up for you:
http://www.halloween.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1835

putrid
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by putrid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:32 am

You may want to try Christmas lights. attach them from your house to high areas say for instance a fence. If you have the big Christmas lights then it looks more like a carnival, and then it helps with a natural freaky lighting casting shadows etc.. then from the higher points you can hang small bats/spiders. :lol:

maybe have someone dress up as a gypsy, do some palm reading/ face painting/ get one of those globes from target that talk. or they can just hand out candy.

you could also make a part of the fence or back yard look like an entrance to a petting zoo. then put caution tape around it. and a sign that says closed until further notice. make it look like somthign happened inside.

the slowed down carnival music sounds like an awesome idea!!!
In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter):
"The insane could easily become the majority and you would find yourself locked in a padded cell."