How will you be cooking your turkey this year?

Traditional Slow Roast (5+ hours)
73%
Smoking/BBQ
9%
Frying
9%
Boiling
No votes
High Temperature Recipe (2-hours)
9%

Total votes : 11

Cooking Your Turkey

Postby ClausPresents on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Have you ever tried any other methods on your turkey other than the traditional slow roast way, or would you?

We are actually changing tradition this year and trying this recipe from Safeway called "2-hour Turkey" recipe. Have you heard about this high heat recipe?
ClausPresents

Postby Snow Faery on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:21 pm

I've never heard of a "high heat" recipe for roasting turkey.. although I have heard of people cooking turkeys in pressure cookers to cut the time down... I haven't really attempted to cook a Christmas dinner myself yet because we go back to my mum's house in Portsmouth for the holidays. I usually help do silly things like beat the Yorkshire pudding mix and peel potatoes, which is what I've done since I was 5 and now I'm 22 ... :lol:
~ What's this, what's this? There's magic in the air... ~

Snow Faery AKA Magickbean ;)
Snow Faery

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm

The Mrs. Makes the absolute very best turkey dinner I've ever had!

She spends the whole day in the kitchen making sure everything is just right. She really cares about the whole experience being as perfect as it can be and Man o'Man does it show! Bless her little soul!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm not sure what to vote. I just do whatever Butterball tells me!

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby airhead on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Traditional Slow Roast.
airhead

Postby mightymouse on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:44 am

I like to slow roast - for 2 reasons. First it gives me time to get the other dishes ready for the oven without having to rush and second because it brings back memories of my childhood when we'd have a house full of relatives over and with the turkey in the oven and the hot cider on the stove the whole house would just smell like Thanksgiving from early morning to late in the evening when the last of the coffee and pumpkin or mince pie would be finished and mom and dad would send us to bed after we'd made the rounds of all the relatives for a good night hug.
mightymouse

Postby squarejelly on Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:55 pm

I don't cook for Thanksgiving, we all go to my grandmothers to eat every year for every holiday, she has always done it the slow roast way though. I don't like cooking meat anyway, I'm always afraid I'm not going to cook it right and poison everyone.
squarejelly

Postby Catzilla on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Oh man....I'll fry that bird every time ! :P
Catzilla

Postby ClausPresents on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:25 pm

mightymouse wrote:I like to slow roast - for 2 reasons. First it gives me time to get the other dishes ready for the oven without having to rush and second because it brings back memories of my childhood when we'd have a house full of relatives over and with the turkey in the oven and the hot cider on the stove the whole house would just smell like Thanksgiving from early morning to late in the evening when the last of the coffee and pumpkin or mince pie would be finished and mom and dad would send us to bed after we'd made the rounds of all the relatives for a good night hug.

Have you seen Safeway's 3-hour planning guide? This guide allows you to have your whole Thanksgiving done in just 3 hours. Side dishes and all!

You can see what I'm talking about for yourself:

http://turkey.safeway.com/pg_main.cfm

So it definitely is possible to cook a turkey in 2 hours and have your side dishes done in time as well. I think it's great that this recipe allows you to spend less time cooking and more time with family and friends. Thats what holidays are about, right?
ClausPresents

Postby ClausPresents on Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:06 pm

Looks like we are getting closer to the big T-day feast! Hope you all are looking forward to it as much as I am...new recipes are always fun to try. :-)
ClausPresents

Return to Thanksgiving