A Halloween Story For Sheila-For everyone on the board

Discussion of general Halloween topics
tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:36 am

Just then there was a horrible roaring sound, and a rush of wind, and what looked like two huge white eyes coming out of the darkness. A truck!

They all thought it was going to run right over them. But it didn't--it just went by very close, and they were all relieved.

When the noise had faded, they realized that somehow, they had all been changed into werewolves.

They stared at one another for a moment, speechless, too shocked to do anything.

And before two moments more had gone by, a big bird flew overhead. A GIANT bird, I should say--if it was a bird at all. It might have been a dinosaur. Its shadow covered everyone briefly. And when the shadow had passed, they saw that they were no longer werewolves, but had been changed back into their normal selves again.

uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by uncletor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Fred turned to me blankly and said:"Hooch, turn down the centre vibrations..I think they are giving us blow back.."
Chris and Claudia were still standing stock still, getting over the sustained hallucination.
"What..the..heck..??" Claudia asked.
"See, the amulets are triggered by the vibrations we generate from this machine."explained Fred, pointing to a mutated heap of radios t.v.'s and old Atari video games" They are going to bring Hornbeck right to us. But sometimes the vibrations ALSO cause you to see things."
"Now you know why Fred never did drugs.." I whispered. "No difference."
"It WAS a pretty bird though..." said Fred to himself.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 pm

FROM THE JOURNAL OF A.K. OSWALD.

I drove over to Rebecca's house, sometimes seeing old ghosts of our past in the shadows and down town store windows. Boone had given me her adress. It looked like we were all winding up in the same town.
I thought back to Egypt, when I first saw her a century ago. She was always running out side. I can still hear her running up and down the banks of the Nile...laughing in the evening sunset..climbing a pyramid, and just hooting because she was THERE..in Egypt, before air travel had made going everywhere common place and it was strange and exotic to go to the Middle East.
I want to imagine her in a t shirt and shorts, but they hadn't been invented for girls to wear yet. But it had to be something close. Her long young legs tan in the sun. Brown hair running down her back, and her laughing.
And if she had her way, it would end tonight. Because Rebecca wanted out, and the only way out was to kill her.
I walked in the back door. Didn't even bother to see if it was locked. I knew it wouldn't be.
She was sitting in the kitchen, having some tea. The knives were on the table. A plastic tarp was on the living floor, spread out. It's purpose was beyond mistake. She looked up at me and said:"I have waited for you for years. Every night, I would spread that tarp out. Hoping you would come."
I took a deep breath."You could have done it yourself."
"No." she looked at me with large dark eyes."That would be suicide. And suicides go to Hell."
I sighed inwardly. She had gone back to the old faith of hers.
"I'm old, my friend." She said." I allowed sins to happen on my watch. I've seen too much, lived too much. Just end it. Remember Rome? After it was over and we met again, and were sitting there admiring that new writer named Hemingway? Even then, we figured it was too much. There is too much on this planet even for lots and lots of lives. I'm done. I've had enough."
She stood up, right beside the tarp."Just do it fast. PLEASE. I want RELEASE."
I took a big big breath and stalled for time."You never told me, and I would like to know..what made you quit Hornbeck?? Once this is done, I'll never know.."
"I'm pretty sure Hornbeck killed his son. Remember that stupid fight the neighbours tried to stop? Where he yelled if the kid wouldn't listen to him he might as well be dead? I think he did it. Not on purpose. He was just beating on the kid. Again. But I'm pretty sure he leveled one good kick with those boots of his to the side of the temple, and the kid just rolled over and died. That simple."
"How sure is sure?"
"Think I found the grave. Backyard. That, and he was dabbling in the forbidden arts. He was on the horn with the demons, or aliens or whatever and wants.."
"I know..Boone, remember?? I was there first..he gave me your adress.."
She took a breath and lifted her head and stood still in front of the tarp.
One more try. "By the way, do you have YOUR set of this??? The ear rings that go along with this ring??"
I dangled a ring in front of her. It was a glowing red color.
NOW she was awake." HEY, that's the ring we made of the stones Hornbeck would use to track me. But we..."
"Shut them off.. right. And THIS one turned on..two hours ago."
"Give. Here. Hey..hey..hey..it doesn't get brighter as it gets closer to me..that's the way it's supposed to work.."
"Right..it in fact, gets brighter OUTSIDE..."
She ran just like she did when she was a little kid and headed to her jewellery box. Try and imagne how big the jewellery box of a woman would be who had lived over a hundred years. It took her five mintues to go through this suit case sized rig...I could understand why she had lost track of them..the style was a bit too ornate for the street...
She came back holding them out...as she moved past me and went into the back yard, they kicked up a notch. A tiny bit. You would have to know what to look for, but we did..
"Well, I'll be..."
"No..that's what we're trying to prevent. This might earn you out of Purgatory..or whatever it is you believe in now.."
I could see that death was put on hold, for awhile.
She gave me a hug.
"Akmed.." she whispered. Saying my own true name.
The tears were beginning to well in my eyes. Damn her. Only three people could really make me cry. Billie Holiday, Roy Orbison, and her.
"I have not heard my name in a long time." I swallowed.
"Call me by YOUR nickname.." she said. "Please. Nobody has called me THAT in a long time either.."
I was choking now. The tears were coming."You're Spooky. Little Spooky..the girl that would read to me scary stories at night.. you took it so seriously. God, you were funny..."
We hugged in the soft fall rain as it bounced off the porch.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:20 pm

I don't know what time it was when Fred got shot. And Chris didn't look. All she heard was the shot gun going off in her back yard. That did it. She made it to my house in track record time. Forget hanging around for some guy with a loaded shot gun.
So Chris came roaring up to Hooch, and then they grabbed me, and we started to follow this little sort of radar screen Hooch had in her VW. There was a THIRD light on now, and we didn't HAVE a third light. And Hornbeck wasn't on our tail, so we figured THAT was where all the fat would hit the fire. It took time, to co relate it to a map.
We got there too late.
There was this big black guy in the back yard with a stake sticking out of him. And a girl tied up to a tree. Hornbeck must be able to move faster then an orange Volkswagen, and that was when things began to worry me. That and the stuff sitting in the middle of the yard.
There was a moldy old decayed cows head, or skull of some sort of cow animal. I don't want to think about that too closely. But old. And these shrunken, deformed muppet statues, and little icons that looked like deformed Smurfs...and in the middle of it, three little statues, about the size of salt and pepper sets..that GLOWED...and Hornbeck screaming in this deep deep black mass voice in the middle of it.
Hooch took out an 8mm Barretta from her back and pointed it right at his head;"Hey...Pastor Hornbeck...just step down.."
And that old buzzzard let out with this loud, grating, evil laugh. His eyes were bugging out, like he had too much uppers in his system. Even drooling. And he screamed back:"You can't STOP ME NOW..Your stupid lackey Fred thought he could stop me..His last words were:"Walked 47 miles of barbed wire.." "
Hooch was quiet and angry. A BAD combo platter." Got a scripture verse for you...ever hear;'One eye is taken for an eye?' It's even in a CCR song.."
"It's too late, you fool!!" Hornbeck screamed back..whatever was too late, he was happy."It's set in motion, do you SEE? The lights glow..the main light and the lesser light are bringing them BACK.."
And then the AIR in the backyard started to get like a static in it, then turn a white like when a bit of milk is mixed with water..and then this big tall white creature comes out. Manshaped. But bald and wrinkled and with these damn black eyes, the same as the thing we sent to critter hell at Hooch's House of Applied Exorcism..and there was this high weird howling noise that was coming behind him, but echoey,and it made my flesh start to creep...
And Hornbeck started to bow down and worship the thing. Just like those idol worshippers in the sword and sandal movies before the last reel smack down..The White Creature smiled and said:"Hello, father..."
And Hornbeck shot straight back up. Horrifed. Just white.
"It's me...daddy...your son. The one you killed one day without even THINKING about it.." The son, or the evil white thing or whatever he was took Hornbeck by the shoulders and leaned over....he seemed to glow even whiter, even brighter.." The old evil gods still sleep. This was ME.I've been sending you messages for SO LONG..and now, tonight, it's pay off night..Remember all those souls you ate to keep alive?"
I think Hornbeck did, but even if he hadn't, they started to come out his mouth - in a black smokey fog and swirl around the backyard. They even made this hollow rain barrel sound. And Sonny Boy opened HIS mouth and started to inhale them.
As he did he got bigger. Hornbeck started to crinkle and wrinkle, like a paper bag..only a paper bag made of flesh with blood and tissue.
And in the middle of this floor show, in walks Fred. The first thing I noticed besides the gun shot that was in his chest was his hand gun. And that he didn't look good AT all.
'I walked 47 miles of barbed wire.." he chanted as he walked in."Use a cobra snake for a neck tie, Got a brand new house on the road side, made out of ratttle snake hide.."
Later, I found out this is something he says when he got MAD.
And Hooch turned and smiled and started to chant along at the same time:"Got a brand new chimney right on top made of human skull.."
Fred was white and barely walked and had blood running down his face and forehead and you could SEE where the shotgun shell had gone through his jacket..I think part of it was still smoking..
"Now come on honey take a walk with me and tell me WHO DO YOU LOVE.."
And they emptied their clips into Hornbeck, and his kid.
Hooch had a storage battery, to keep electrcity in, and she lugged that out and put some sort of funnel circuit board combo platter on top of it, and the black fog of spirits swirled into it.
In a way, it made sense. You couldn't INHALE something unless you became a physical being..so bullets work there..and bullets will stop someone from casting spells as well as anything. It was only later they told me about their CASTING OUT bullets with the special alloys..silver, platinum, and whatever the metallic equilevent to wolfbane was..
Fred leaned against a tree. I went to look. He wasn't a ghost."Kelvar vest. The impact knocked me against the damn garden gnome her mother keeps in the flower bed and put me out...but BOY did that make me MAD...now, can you get this OFF ME? It's tight from taking the full blast..Dang, some of the pellets nailed me in the neck.."
Hooch was letting the lady she kept calling Spooky out of the ropes, and they both went over to A.K. The black guy with the stake sticking out of him. He didn't move at all.
Then, he turned to Spooky and said;"Looks like ONE of us gets their wish tonight..sorry it was me..I wanted to go, but not like, not like.."
And he got very still. Spooky started to cry.
Then he spat. "Damn. Schmuck used garlic. I hate garlic. Allergic. Leaves that damn damn aftertaste.."
I turned to Chris and Fred:'I thought garlic killed vampires..."
"Only European ones.." Fred replied, his color returning after getting out of the bullet proof vest." He's Egyptian. Doesn't have a MEANING for them..it's I don't know..what? Raisins? Dates? BACO-BITS?? Some darn thing.."
And Fred plopped down beside A.K. and said;"Hey. Suck on this." And gave him something in a small canister.
A.K. inhaled."I'm not to die tonight.."
"Nope.." replied Fred.
"Is that some sort of charm??" I asked.
"No, asthma inhaler. Hey, the guy is AT LEAST 100, I figure getting a lung partially deflated, he could use a dilator, until he rejuvenates, which should be in about ten minutes, give or take..he's not as young as he used to be..and Hornbeck...like most people, doesn't have THE SLIGHTEST idea where the heart REALLY is..."
And that's when the cops caming running in, guns drawn.
It was a near thing. The stake that Hornbeck has stuck in A.K. was out by the time they got to him, forced out by the healing that takes place I guess, so it just looked like he was POKED by it. Hooch told them this old wack job had run in and shot Fred and they had to shot him before he carried out his dastardly plans for the ladies..explained Fred was just getting off his job as a security guard for an armor car company..which he had i.d. for...but the cops were used to Fred from the stakeouts with the coffee and the blueberry muffins, so they were willing to believe anything.
And that's how the six of us, one vampire, one Dorian Grey, one Ghostbuster, her side kick, and two kids wound up the night playing Monopoly and watching old horror flicks until the wee hours. Our folks even came for us and picked us up, and Mom and Dad were dressed up as male and female pirates and Mom was singing;"Shake shake shake, shake your booty.."
And I looked at Hooch and she said;"No...not me..not this time.."
One more thing. The storage battery, with all the souls in it. Wound up at the front door. Hooch hooked up a pumpkin to it..It laughed all night long as the evil souls were turned into electric current and burned.
Lots of folks smiled and said how SPOOKY it was with that laughter..how PERFECT it sounded.
It should. Those were the real souls laughing to death. She didn't HAVE a soundtrack attached to the pumpkin. For some reason being turned into juice just TICKLES THEM TO DEATH..

End

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:08 am

Congratulations on a WONDERFUL Halloween story!! I LOVED being one of the heroes. Thanks to all, but especially uncletor, you ROCK!! Happy Halloween!!

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:08 am

Okay, I finally was able to get on the site and read the story. OMG, Uncletor, I don't know what to say. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for taking it and running with it. I am so proud of what you have done. :stands up and applauds: Happy Halloween to you. Again, thank you so much.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry