Haunting for 2008?

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
ghostess
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Haunting for 2008?

Post by ghostess » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 am

Now is the time to really start planning! What's on the agenda for those of you who do yard haunts/displays?

I think my theme will stay the same (cemetery) but I will add more corpses for this year. I planned on making some last season, but I just ran out of time with all the other projects I had going on. I was thinking of some "pumpkinrot" style groundbreakers for the cemetery. I need to make all new tombstones for the front yard. I want to go with a more traditional look, maybe with just some plain ones, with simple engravings and less of the funny ones that I have now. I'll probably move the funny ones to the back yard.

While we were at our first make and take of the year this past weekend, one of my fellow haunters Mazz, brought his wall panels to show us how they went together. These things were awesome, easy to make and super solid when used in a triangular grid walk through haunt. I'm looking forward to trying to put together an actual walk through. I hope I can get it all done.

I also have a LOT of stuff that got damaged and broken this past season, so a lot of my time will be devoted to fixing those things or replacing them. My gargoyle, grim reaper and tree are all the main things that need repairs. :(

Anyway, let's hear it people! What's going on for your Halloween this year?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

ghostess
Master Reaper

Re: Haunting for 2008?

Post by ghostess » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:14 pm

I think I've decided on Zombies for the newest additions for this year's display. Hopefully, some sculpting work will start soon. Gotta stock up on those skulls too!
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:36 pm

It looks like we will still have our apartment this year, so it will be mostly the same as last year. My decorations aren't too scary, just Halloweeny. I put pumpkin clings on the main windows and hang cobwebs down the hall and in the corners. I have some ratty cheese cloth that goes over the curtains and the black and orange candles come out. There are some colored lights and witche's potions bottles in the bathroom, not to mention my pumpkin shower hooks and toilet seat cover. The bedroom gets left alone with the exception of some throw blankets, because sadly my fiance is a Christmas person. :(
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:47 pm

SpookShowBaby wrote:It looks like we will still have our apartment this year, so it will be mostly the same as last year. My decorations aren't too scary, just Halloweeny. I put pumpkin clings on the main windows and hang cobwebs down the hall and in the corners. I have some ratty cheese cloth that goes over the curtains and the black and orange candles come out. There are some colored lights and witche's potions bottles in the bathroom, not to mention my pumpkin shower hooks and toilet seat cover. The bedroom gets left alone with the exception of some throw blankets, because sadly my fiance is a Christmas person. :(
Perfect: The NIghtmare Before Christmas!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 am

It's not as creepy . . . . You should see it at Christmas time! I want to walk around in black and orange just so I feel better! Ish.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Christmas is my second fav holiday.

I lived with a nut who had a Santa face toilet-seat cover.

Pretty creepy if you ask me!

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 pm

It's just too bright and happy for me. All the colors and Christmas cheer, plus everything gets shoved down your throat!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 pm

That's funny I get into it because of the colors and shiny stuff.

The Holy-ness I could do wothout...
Attachments
jesus_shaves.jpg
jesus_shaves.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 18281 times

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 pm

It's a combo of MadScience and Jekyll/Hyde for me this year. I have bottles and jars and bones and things. Costumes should be a snap-- lab coats with dress shirts and slacks. I'm presently in process of turning a folding table into a gurney with PVC pipe... the completion will have to wait 'till August, when I get white sheets on sale during back-to-school season (I live in a college "town", so that helps). I've also been working on some laboratory badges, which will have to wait 'till Halloween to be completed because my husband is having his sister do his hair all Sweeney Todd and we'll have to take his ID Badge photo then.... but I did create a template for the badges. I should be able to get my badge ready earlier.

Besides all that, my biggest project is deciding whether to splurge and hand out draw-string sport bags (~$1 each for $100-ish... if the husband approves) and stenciling on a Halloween design or key-ring lanyards with visitor badges. Of course, we'll also be passing out glow bracelets and chocolate... and probably play-doh too.

I also have to work with the husband on using his fish-tank pump to make some kinda medical contraption for blowing bubbles into lab jars full of fake blood connected to this IV bag that I bought about 6 years ago that I'm finally putting to use!... and make a fake body (I need to find a styrofoam wig head... and some small-ish nylons for intestines). I also have to finish making toe-tags.... for what purpose, I haven't yet decided.... but it will be fun!

So much to do! So little time!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I live on a wooded property and I'm thinking about making a zombie-dummy to hide on a well used trail to scare the be-jeezus out of my house mates.

Ghost
Master Reaper

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 am

Awesome set guys! You all are gonna haunt the entire neighborhood (or country considering the variety of places you guys are in) :D I can never do anything as vivid as what "Haunted Houses" people put up. :( I just can't afford it, although I'd give just about anything to be able to afford it, especially with some of the ideas I have.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:40 pm

The only downer is that there are only 3 of us on the property so the fun doesn't last that long, and the neighbors are all old farts who wouldn't know fun if it jumped out of a coffin and yelled "BOO"!

trinkasoarus
Ghost

Post by trinkasoarus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Well this year so far we have built our graveyard fence (which will surround our front yard), working on making the outside walls a castle using styrofoam and loads of paint, we have ready to go our carport which we put pvc bars, painted black, with a working werewolf and a corpsed body holding the bars, added some black lights and strobes for effect. I have all my toumbstones built for the cemetary. I still have to build the man to put in our noose for the oak tree. We will be building stirring witches(2 at a cauldron) soon as the motors come in. Our entranceway to get the candy will have a fake front made with cammo cloth and black plastic so when they ring the eyeball doorbell we hit the blacklight and we show up. In our upstairs window we have the Big Scream Tv talking heads going. Our lower windows have giant eyes looking out. Of coarse there are spider webs all over the place, including a giant inflatable spider on the roof. And a few other things in the works. Sheesh seems like alot now that I am putting it in print lol, I will add pics as we get things accomplished if anyone wants to see :)
Without attitude...
you're just bait

List4uonline
Ghost

Post by List4uonline » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:59 pm

we are going to go to a saw typ them in the garage haunt but the yard will be done the same with a computer controled light and sound system

Fezzek
Zombie

Post by Fezzek » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Keep your elves in red suits and little spring rabbits, it's Halloween all the way for me. Rather ambitious build out on my end but most projects are well underway:

Several 2007 props are being decommissioned and parted out for new ones. Gone from the display this year will be the hanging cage, guillotine, stockades, and various other odds and ends. Receiving upgrades will be "Smokey Joe" and the giant wasp.

New re-theming for most of the home haunt on one side (corner lot, wife gets the front for the huge pumpkin patch and friendly decor, my boys and I get the other side to do whatever we want to!) some of this year's additions include:

A large reaper, four ground breakers (special thanks to Pumkinrot for the inspiration..those were amazing!) 40' of cemetery fence, 2 lighted columns with gargoyle facades (spared from last year's Terror Lagoon), flickering road sign with a leering character, two silly fence climbers my daughter has requested (joint project with her that's has been fun), a stand up skeleton holding a "vacancy" sign, the build out for Terror Lagoon at work and numerous other small items. Many a late night has been spent so far and the neighbors are already wandering by peeking in the garage trying to get the scoop on the new stuff for this year. After a long summer running groups & special events at the amusement park this time of year is stress relief for me and my staff. Definitely a nice break from the everyday world.
You can Keep your happy little elves, fat guys in red suits, and little spring rabbits. It's HALLOWEEN all the way for me!